4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuel Injector Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default Fuel Injector Install?

Anyone got a how-to on installing fuel injectors? The supercharger manual doesn't cover injectors for some reason.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 AM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Injector Install...

pull off your fuel rail.. then pull out the injector. place new one in. and call it a day.. you might need some sort of lube so you dont rip the o-ring though
Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

2 of my 36# injectors that my SC came with are missing the o-rings...think its possible to use 2 from the stock injectors? Also, do I need to do anything to prevent gas from spraying out when i disconnect them from the fuel rail?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:27 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

There is a schrader valve access on the top of your fuel rail. Take a rag, wrap it around a screwdriver, and then place them over the valve (after you take off the cap lol).

Press in the schrader while holding the rag all around it. This will spray fuel out, which is what your doing with the rag (keeping the fuel from getting all over the dammed place).

ALWAYS vent the system before doing any work on it. I would also recommend pulling off the negitive battery cable before doing any work on the injectors. Not only is it a good idea for the ECM, but you don't want power anywhere near with fuel all over.

After all that, just unscrew the fuel rail and then pop off each injector. Make sure to not get the wiring mixed up (it would be hard to do, they are cut to length.

I used a small (just a GLAZE) amount of oil on the ring of each injector to make sure I got a good seal, but its probably not nessicarry.

I have no idea about reusing the o ring. Make sure the ones on your new injectors are not cracked or anything.

After you do all this and replace your fuel pump (AND FILTER, a MUST) turn the key on and off a couple times before you start the car to prime the pump, and don't flip out when it doesn't start right away. My car turned over for a little bit before it started.

After you start, keep OFF the throttle for a good time. You of course will not get on it at all until you get to the dyno shop for a a/f check.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:41 AM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

Well if you want to get technical I guess you could do all of that.. my way just sounded easier[8D]
Old 12-04-2006, 03:50 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys, I can't wait to install all this **** sittign in my room this coming weekend!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:30 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slow99GT

Well if you want to get technical I guess you could do all of that.. my way just sounded easier[8D]
Right and if you want fuel sprayed all over you and your engine, do it his way. Right, that's all you do, AFTER you relieve the fuel system pressure with the schrader valve as 2000GT4.6 mentioned.

I don't see why uou couldn't use the stock o-rings, just be very careful getting them off and check for cracking or stretching. Best way to get them off(o-rings) is to squeeze the top of the fuel injector at the o-ring, while squeezing, slide your two fingers forward to help push to o-ring enough to pull it over the top of the injector WITHOUT stretching it too much.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
JPGT_00
2nd Gear Member

Have you already replaced your fuel pump, if not than be careful when you drop the tank of the rubber gromet that meets the tank and the filler neck, I ruined mine on my install and had fuel leakng everywere.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Original: SOHCtimes2:
Thanks guys, I can't wait to install all this **** sittign in my room this coming weekend!
i hear ya on that one!!! ive had my vortech kit since july...and im finally going to a speed shop to get it installed on monday along with my headers...i am SOOOO excited i cant even begin to tell you. best of luck with the self install...i unfortunately am not all that savvy and am going to pay for a much more knowledgeable person to do it.

post those dyno numbers when everythings all set!!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:58 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

Original: SOHCtimes2:
i hear ya on that one!!! ive had my vortech kit since july...and im finally going to a speed shop to get it installed on monday along with my headers...i am SOOOO excited i cant even begin to tell you. best of luck with the self install...i unfortunately am not all that savvy and am going to pay for a much more knowledgeable person to do it.

post those dyno numbers when everythings all set!!
Oh I will definately post the numbers, I'm only expecting 370ish with my minimal amounts of mods...until I get the intercooler add-on and up boost to 10psi. But 370 is going to be a huge kick in the pants from the sub 250 Im prolly putting down right now.

I just can't see myself paying several hundred dollars for someone else to install the kit...I'm on a budget, lol.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Install?