4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Places to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:59 PM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

Default Places to buy?

Hey everyone, hopefully future mustang owner here. I'm 19 and for my 20th birthday (in may) after I force myself to get good grades next semester, my mom said that I could get a new car. Right now I drive a stupid honda civic, that loves to be attacked by nature.

After crawling around these forums, I see that most of the GT owners are all like "Can't wait to buy my cobra!" And I see a lot of people say its not worth really suping up the 2v GTs. I don't classify myself as auto savvy but I have a general grasp of most concepts. So the cobras have 4 valves per cylinder and dual overhead cams correct?

One general question I have is what does 3.73, 4.1 gears, etc mean. Is that the final drive ratio or something? I know gear ratios of like 2:1, 1:1 but I don't know about the other thing.

Anyways to get to the point... what are the best places to look for cobras? I live on the east coast (MA) but would definitely be willing to go interstate by the time I'm ready to buy. I'm looking at 99-01 models just because they are right outside my pricerange of about $13000, and I could probably bump that up to 15 and pay the difference. I have checked these forums once and again along with svtperformance.com and they have lots of them listed. Are there any other websites? I check used car websites and their prices are right up the @$$.

Anyways so you have something to look at... here's my honda this summer after being attacked by a tree (while driving it). It also is a magnet for shopping carts, hit-and-runners, and nails in the tires (the DAY after I pay $300 for brand new ones.)

Thanks for any information!

[IMG]local://upfiles/55609/5F85AD5D784A4B65BE696A068323F250.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Places to buy?

Whats up, i know that everyone is always saying cant wait to get there cobra. Im that way to, but im 21 drvie a 03 GT coupe and couldnt be more pleased. I just wanted to tell u though, that u might want to see how much insurance is on cobra or u could end up getting raped by it, i know my gt is pricey enough, i cant imagine a cobra's insurance, but just to let u know if u decided not to go with a cobra, GT's are very good mustangs, just slap a supercharger on it, and that wil make a good but of power, thats what i plain on doing.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

The cobra has the forged internal too, which is a big selling point. Ebay and cars.com are good starting points.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:28 PM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

Wow these forums are quick!

What is your insurance on a GT? Is it classified as a sports car?
My 1.8 liter 120 horsepower (if that) civic has 2 doors and is classified as a "compact sports car" At 19 with no accidents or tickets I'm at $2400 for the year. Forged internals and that sexy snake emblem too
Old 12-05-2006, 01:36 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

My insurance is $880/year. Full coverage, but I don't drive it to work (I take the train).
Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Where in MA are you?

I'm in Western MA, I could direct you to a couple places selling supercharged 99-04 GT's for under $13k.

Rainydayracing, only 03/04 Cobra's have forged internals, which are going for double his budget.

Sarnz, all the cars in our area are listed high, go meet with them and you'll be able to talk down the price. But bring somebody experienced with you, since you're young they will be looking for ways to bury you.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:13 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Ah, I missed that - my bad.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:18 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Personally, I would not buy a Cobra since your insurance is already $2400 a year. I am 19 also and full coverage my Stang was costing me over $3000. Now it is under my parents names though so it is costing me $2000 a year. You will be happy with a GT. We all say "Can't wait for my Mach" or "Can't wait for my Cobra," but that is just because they are nice cars. It doesn't mean we are not satisfied with out GT's. I can't wait for my GT-500, but I will never get one. I would love a Mach though. They are just so sexy.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 PM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

Oh ok, I'm sure the GT's are really nice, I just want something with some power and RWD! But yes I'm sure I will go the route of a GT. I guess since I'm used to driving a honda I better not get something that will get me killed.

My uncle Rob, (well not really uncle, but that close of a friend) has one of the new Shelby GT500's. He owns a business so he makes quite a bit of money. My mom's best friend's brother owns a dealer (Marcotte Ford) in our area, and Rob got a good deal on the GT500. He didn't tell me the price but he said they could have made a lot of money on it. It's Dark Gray with the Lighter Stripes I went for a ride - so fast!

Dan04COBRA: Hey, I also live in Western Mass! I live in longmeadow, a little bit right outside of springfield. Supercharged GT's you say? That would totally be very nice. I could bring Rob with me since he has been working on mustangs since the 60's. I don't think he's ever owned a car with fewer than 8 cylinders. I just want a car that I can be proud of.

And does anyone know the answer to my gear question in the first post?

[IMG]local://upfiles/55609/D2E4623BE3A1483FB5C56D9E847E5C72.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

sarnz, I'm about 45 minutes from Long Meadow. I have a couple manufacturers I deal with in Agawam, I'll be going down there Thursday!

Anyway, talk with Sarat Ford, they have the largest New/Used Mustang Inventory in MA, they are in Agawam. Are you familiar with Pittsfield at all? Couple Ford dealers in this area have blown 99-04 GT's... The gear ratio you are speaking of is the rear gear ratio. Stock gear ratio is 2.73 or 3.27 in 99-04 GT's, depending on the transmission (right? I forget).

I'm 22, I got my Cobra when I was 21, my insurance increased $150 going from an 02 GT to my 04 Cobra, so it wasn't much of a big deal at all with Massachusetts insurance rates (which are set by the state so don't even bother trying to determine what he might pay)

Quick Reply: Places to buy?