MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Snow driving (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/214495-snow-driving.html)

Adam03GT 12-05-2006 08:50 PM

Snow driving

Ive been driving my dads travel car to work this past week because of the snow but i may have to drive the stang tomarrow. Alot of the snow is gone but i am worried about the snow that is left and the sand..What are the effects of that on my car? If i can just keep it on the road is anything really going to happen?

mikev08826 12-05-2006 08:55 PM

RE: Snow driving

They use salt out by me and I have no problem driving 24 hours after a big snowfall. I'm not sure how the sand works though...I've heard not as good, but idk.

Just take it slow (can't emphasize that enough) and make sure you've got tread on your tires. Also, I tend to get annoyed with traction control, so try it with it off.

Adam03GT 12-05-2006 09:01 PM

Ive been holding off on rubber because i plan on getting rims for xmas! I may just try and have someone take me heh.. Its not really the main roads that are that bad its just my neighborhood.. I dont even know if i can get out :(

ponysnake99 12-05-2006 09:08 PM

its usually a sand/salt mixture and if you let it sit on your car it can cause some unsightly spots on dark color cars...but take it slow and keep it easy on the gas...watch for ice

fastsilverstang 12-05-2006 09:09 PM

i have a sand bag in my trunk and snow tires "Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3"..... i'm set ;)

mikev08826 12-05-2006 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Ive been holding off on rubber because i plan on getting rims for xmas! I may just try and have someone take me heh.. Its not really the main roads that are that bad its just my neighborhood.. I dont even know if i can get out :(
I have to buy all weathers for my car as it's a DD. I go with continental extreme contact. I'm just finishing my first pair and got 30,000 miles out of them. Their awesome in snow and rain, but not so much fun when it's nice weather. May want to think about getting a special set of snow tires.

Adam03GT 12-05-2006 09:50 PM

It doesnt snow to often here but it rains alot so how much are special weather tires?

djb1187 12-05-2006 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

I have to buy all weathers for my car as it's a DD. I go with continental extreme contact. I'm just finishing my first pair and got 30,000 miles out of them. Their awesome in snow and rain, but not so much fun when it's nice weather. May want to think about getting a special set of snow tires.
man u drive your supercharged GT in the snow?

Clutch_2000GT 12-05-2006 10:12 PM

fastsilver......im considering getting the Dunlop M3's for this winter, how do you llike them, did you pay more then 135 for each???

LaserGT 12-05-2006 11:03 PM

ORIGINAL: fastsilverstang

i have a sand bag in my trunk and snow tires "Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3"..... i'm set ;)
Sandbags in the trunk and a full tank of gas will help in distributing some more weight in the back. But driving conservatively is your best bet. Our cars are great on dry but frankly they suck on snow. [:@]