4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Randomly Stalling and Revving

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Randomly Stalling and Revving

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

Also, why would my timing make my sensor malfunction?
because when the timing is off, that means the camshaft isnt alligned properly. you have to allign the camshaft with the crank with like ... no more than a 2-3* variance. otherwise your **** will run messed up.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:29 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Alright I replaced the camshaft sensor and my speedometer sensor, neither my speedometer nor my other problem is fixed. So now I am $50 in the hole and still have no speedometer and my car randomly dies. The dealer won't cover this because its not in the warranty.

How would I check my TPS? What should I adjust?

If that isn't the problem, do you think that I should just give in and go to a mechanic?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

You IAC may be bad and cleaning it would not fix the problem. Remove the vacuum hose from the air intake to see if it changes at all. I should idle steady, but it shouldn't stall either.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

I think it may be my alternator. Brute03GT i think is his name. He had the same code and replaced the sensor twice. It ended up being his alternator regulator. I think that this could be it, because my speedo is screwed up also. It randomly doesn't work and dies. I could always get a rebuilt alternator for like $120.

Could I replace the alternator myself? I want to avoid labor costs due to my $450 insurance bill and christmas coming up.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:41 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

If it's the timing...maybe you can find a buddy who's good with it. Theres alot of people out there.

Or you could do it yourself.

-Timing Gun
-Torque Wrench
-Marker
-TDC Specs.
-LOTS OF MAN POWER

I've reset the timing several times on my dad's Shelby Cobra. But thats a different story...
Huh? Go try it and see what happens. EFI + COP = electronicaly adjusted timing.. Its adjusted with a handheld tuner/flash chip/etc..

Anyways, do all the basics before anything else... Clean your MAF and make sure that all plugs on your air intake are plugged in.. I had a car do the same thing (rev and stall) and it was becuase someone forgot to plug his MAF back in after cleaning it and his K&N fliter.... To clean your MAF you will have to have a set torx bits with the hole in the center.. cant think of what they are called. pretty cheap for a small set.. just spray some contact cleaner on it and let it dry. Clean your TPS (like said above), and basically just check every connection.. the reving problem could be something minor... now your speedo isnt working at all? Have you made sure that its all plugged in as well? You have a 5 speed right? Pull the shifter boot if you do and verify that there is not a speed cal in there. If someone that owned it before you put in a speed cal, then its possible that it could have shorted out/died/had a wire come out of a wire nut... If its not that, check a haynes manual and see what fuse that could possibly tied in with and test it.. if its not either of those and its still not working you may just have to bite it and take it to a shop..
Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

If it's the timing...maybe you can find a buddy who's good with it. Theres alot of people out there.

-Timing Gun
-Torque Wrench
-Marker
-TDC Specs.
-LOTS OF MAN POWER

I've reset the timing several times on my dad's Shelby Cobra. But thats a different story...

OBDII electronics are just a little bit different than your Dad's car. Long gone are the days of loosing the distributor clamp bolt and turning it to adjust the timing. No more using flashing timing lights on these cars.

Seriously, don't post about stuff you don't have a clue about.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

-Timing Gun
-Torque Wrench
-Marker
-TDC Specs.
-LOTS OF MAN POWER

OBDII electronics are just a little bit different than your Dad's car. Long gone are the days of loosing the distributor clamp bolt and turning it to adjust the timing. No more using flashing timing lights on these cars.

Seriously, don't post about stuff you don't have a clue about.

Suprises me that no one said anything before either of us... many hours later... makes you wonder... lol.

Seriously the reving and stalling sounds like an intake problem. Definatly check the IAT, MAF, TPS to make sure every thing is plugged, connected, and clean, then pull your battery.

It doesnt sound like an alternator problem to me.. if the alt was going bad I would honestly think more electronics would be giving issues... lights would be randomly dimming, stereo would be fading in and out (especally if you have an aftermarket amp..) I can tell you how to test it.. its pretty simple to do, but that will only tell you if its generating a charge.. wont really tell you if its just in the throes of trying to die.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:18 AM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

There called security bits, and youll have fun finding the one you need by itself.You will probably have to buy a set.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:38 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustnglvr

There called security bits, and youll have fun finding the one you need by itself.You will probably have to buy a set.
What??????????????
[sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 12-07-2006, 02:45 AM
mustnglvr
2nd Gear Member

Security hex bits with the holes in the middle thats what there called[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Quick Reply: Randomly Stalling and Revving