4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Expensive parts and repairs??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:30 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Default Expensive parts and repairs??

Ok, so im buying my first stang, and i already did all the math regarding payments, insurance, and how much i need to make a week to pay everything i need.

But there was one tiny little thing i forgot to consider.... if something breaks.[&:]

In your experience, are parts for these stangs expensive (4.6L)? Im having 3 people go over the car for me, to make sure everythings cool, but down the road, i gotta plan for this kinda stuff. In my current financial situation, ill barely be getting by, with $120/mo left over for w/e. (im getting a second job, tho. dont worry).
Old 12-06-2006, 02:36 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Expensive parts and repairs??

ORIGINAL: GStam66

Ok, so im buying my first stang, and i already did all the math regarding payments, insurance, and how much i need to make a week to pay everything i need.

But there was one tiny little thing i forgot to consider.... if something breaks.[&:]

In your experience, are parts for these stangs expensive (4.6L)? Im having 3 people go over the car for me, to make sure everythings cool, but down the road, i gotta plan for this kinda stuff. In my current financial situation, ill barely be getting by, with $120/mo left over for w/e. (im getting a second job, tho. dont worry).
mmm, most parts arent taht expensive, nless you blow the entire motor. can't really think of anything that would break in the mustang normally. what year?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Js 99 GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, agreed. They are pretty strong and reliable. I think the weak points are the tranny and clutch, but only if you really rag on it all the time. What year??
Old 12-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Js 99 GT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, agreed. They are pretty strong and reliable. I think the weak points are the tranny and clutch, but only if you really rag on it all the time. What year??
Old 12-06-2006, 02:41 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

if it's 96-98 you really need to watch how often you drive it hard, because they like to go boom a bit easier than the 99+, and get a king cobra clutch, not from ford racing, but from king cobra, you will love it, and it will last forever and ever.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:00 PM
burn64
2nd Gear Member

I have found that the parts are pretty cheap. The only way you will get in trouble is if you get a big labor job and take it to a dealer, which I do. I had to pay alot for them to take apart my rear end and replace some bearing, seals, etc. Parts were $250, but labor was $700. I did get them to put my 4.10s in for free when they were putting it back together though. That saved me some cash I was going to spend on that install. I suggest finding a good, trustworthly cheap mechanic now before something goes wrong and you are forced to go to the dealer.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:18 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

I have a good mechanic, i know he wont screw me over or anything. I was just worried about parts themselves.

Right now im looking at 00-04 GT 5-spd coupes.

Plus, ill be driving outta state to get it, so if something goes wrong, im not gonna take it back to the dealer or anything. Its gonna have the basic 3mo./4500 mile warranty. Maybe if theyre cool about it and something does go wrong theyll just let me send em the bill or something. i dunno. [&:]
Old 12-06-2006, 05:21 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GStam66

I have a good mechanic, i know he wont screw me over or anything. I was just worried about parts themselves.

Right now im looking at 00-04 GT 5-spd coupes.

Plus, ill be driving outta state to get it, so if something goes wrong, im not gonna take it back to the dealer or anything. Its gonna have the basic 3mo./4500 mile warranty. Maybe if theyre cool about it and something does go wrong theyll just let me send em the bill or something. i dunno. [&:]
well, if it's 99+ i wouldnt worry a whole lot about motor just bursting into flames or anything, just make sure you take proper care of it.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:10 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

It is a dark day on the Mustangforums, Gstam is moving out of OT and into the 4.6 section Have a mechanic check the spark plugs<easy way to tell if it is burning oil. Also do a compression test and make sure the clutch/syncros are good.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
BoanHed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trance565
mmm, most parts arent taht expensive, nless you blow the entire motor...........
Aint that the truth...... [:@][:@][:@]

Quick Reply: Expensive parts and repairs??