4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cams, don't know much...suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cams, don't know much...suggestions!

ORIGINAL: 01stangt

Can you run a blower cam? cuz i might be getting one within the next year..(if your car is stock you can still get w/e cam and mod it, and it will end up with it 's full potential in the end after you mod it more and more?)
you can get a blower cam with out FI, shouldnt mess anything up, you jsut wont get as much power as you would an N/A cam, but once you get the blower in, it will help alot.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 PM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trance565
to gt03, i think you need to get new valves and retainers for teh extra rpm boost.
+1

Aixtreme- I was just wondering. I'm going to be installing cams along with my pi swap as soon as the weather warms up and I won't freeze my a$$ off in the garage. I've never had hands on experience installing cams on my own, but I'm definitely going to do it myself. I can have the car down for as long as it takes so I won't be rushed. I know degreeing the cams is the only way to be absolutely sure they are installed correctly, and ptv contact is pretty much my worst nightmare, so I'm just trying to figure out a good cam degree kit to buy.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 PM
tstang2000
1st Gear Member

I have been thinking about wich cam to get next year also and was woundering the same question.

ORIGINAL: 01stangt

Can you run a blower cam? cuz i might be getting one within the next year..(if your car is stock you can still get w/e cam and mod it, and it will end up with it 's full potential in the end after you mod it more and more?)
you can get a blower cam with out FI, shouldnt mess anything up, you jsut wont get as much power as you would an N/A cam, but once you get the blower in, it will help alot.
I was going to get a stg 1 cam but later on im def going with a S/C, so i can run a stg 2 cam N/A with no problems as long as i get a tune?

Old 12-06-2006, 10:16 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

if you plan to get sc, i would go stage 2 s/c cam, so you dont have to get one later on.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:18 PM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

I believe i'm going to go with a sc stage 2 but I don't have any idea what to do about the lift and all....nor do i know what all i should get for it? Cam, cam gear kit, springs,.....anything else? Any suggestions as of which cam i should go with? i want it to be a NICE idle and loud if possible.......
Old 12-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: II 98 GT II

to gt03, i think you need to get new valves and retainers for teh extra rpm boost.
+1

Aixtreme- I was just wondering. I'm going to be installing cams along with my pi swap as soon as the weather warms up and I won't freeze my a$$ off in the garage. I've never had hands on experience installing cams on my own, but I'm definitely going to do it myself. I can have the car down for as long as it takes so I won't be rushed. I know degreeing the cams is the only way to be absolutely sure they are installed correctly, and ptv contact is pretty much my worst nightmare, so I'm just trying to figure out a good cam degree kit to buy.

Sorry I dont know.. I didnt degree my cam. I just used the stock locations. Its probably at 0 degrees right now. Its pretty straight foward. There are dots on the sprockets and dark shades on the chain so you line it up right.. Just my suggestion us a grease pencil and mark the chain and sprocket before hand.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Since were on the subject, what stage is this cam? I know nothing.

Comp Cams 550/550 Lift 234/238 Duration @ .5 Lift. Stage 2? noticable lope?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:27 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

ORIGINAL: II 98 GT II

You'll need a tune with stage 2's and above.

I'm not totally sure about install cost. It won't be cheap though.

Aixtreme- did you degree your cams?
Lol, no I didnt degree my cam. I just marked the previous position of the cam sprocket with the cam chain and the sprocket on the crank with the chain. Just swapped them.... Lol. I did the install from a Mustang Enthusiast magainze... lol. I referred also to my haynes manual too for torque settings though and other critcal steps.
Airextreme, your #'s are crazy. You increased around 40whp while only about 20-25 wtrq- weird[]
Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Are headers necessary if you get cams?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 AM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eventer289

Are headers necessary if you get cams?
Headers or heads?...

Quick Reply: Cams, don't know much...suggestions!