4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Any Mods I'm Missing here before I go FI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:42 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Any Mods I'm Missing here before I go FI?

Plan to spend about $4,000 assuming you put it on yourself and you get a vortech. But in actuality it may cost more than that depending...

Get the MPH kit...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:49 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

Naw, I don't have headers and I don't really plan on getting them any time soon. They just don't make that big of a difference until you are making serious HP. Maybe on down the road when my goal of 500rwhp is reached.
They make more difference than anything you have put together. but whatever
Old 12-07-2006, 12:51 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Naw, I don't have headers and I don't really plan on getting them any time soon. They just don't make that big of a difference until you are making serious HP. Maybe on down the road when my goal of 500rwhp is reached.
+1
Old 12-07-2006, 01:28 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Don't bother with the long tubes right now if your plan is to go with forced induction. Yes they make a little power with a basically stock motor like yours, but not enough to justify the expense. However, after you put 5 grand into whatever supercharger you're going buy plus the tuning and all the little parts that are going to pop up that you didn't think about, the full length headers will be a really nice performance upgrade. Just remember, the more air you're forcing into that that motor, the more air you need to let out.

The Spec stage 2 clutch is a nice clutch for a daily driver and will hold fine for the occasional track use. Don't worry about the tranny. It'll hold fine for 500rwhp.

JMO [sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 12-07-2006, 04:15 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Longtubes are worth it, and probably will add the most as a bolt on, but i would upgrade the clutch and tranny first. The stock clutch is a good clutch, but it will break down underneath the power. The 3650 tanks on a lot of cars, and a lot of people can run it - but it's only a matter of time. If you want to run a lot of power, you're goin to have to pay for it but this is how i'd start: Springs (Drag or cornering), Subframe connectors, Lower control arms (get your suspension down). Then upgrade the clutch and tranny (tranny if you plan on racing it a lot, or plan on going above 450rwhp/tor.), then get longtubes, then your blower, right with a 31 or 34 splined axle with a Eaton POSI differential. You'll have a monster GT with a stock bottom end, which will be your only weak link on the car.

Suspension is the most overlooked modification for any car. You can put 5000rwhp down, but if you don't have the suspension for it - youll get beat by a stock V6. Suspension, supporting mods (clutch, tranny, axle), then power.

Fyi.. I have a Spec Stage III w/fidanza Alum Flywheel... it's a real easy clutch, and it pops back up fast as hell and it engages quick as hell too... The clutch chatter just sucks for the first 500miles or so...
Old 12-07-2006, 04:24 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

90mm lightning maf?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If you get a good kit the MAF/filter etc etc should come with it, including the plugs etc.

The stock transmission will be fine for quite some time if you don't beat the hell out of it. The trannys do suck, but they usually fail because people shift them hard/powershift and damage the syncs. I should know, I did this to two of em.

The clutch would be a definate plus, with your planned power output you will be pushing matters.

The LTs will be the big thing. I see no reason to not get them now. You can either get them now, and the get the blower tuned for em, or get them later and have to retune the car all over again.

LTs will make a massive difference on a FI car. I would guess with your mods you will be in the 370 range @ 8 PSI. I would bet a set of LTs would bump you up at least another 20-25 WHP.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have had NO supporting mods for my blower, just put it on first. Its just such a massive difference, and if you can save money for a blower, you can save money and buy your boltons all in one big batch (as to save money on the retunes).