4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

This hose is cracked. What does it do? Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:37 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

Default This hose is cracked. What does it do? Pics.

I just got home and noticed my car was idling a little funny. Like it had cams or something. So I open the hood and I hear this hissing noise. I located the source of the noise and it was this hose. I put my finger on it to seal it and then the car began to idle smooth. I take my finger off and it goes back to doing that cam lope idle deal. The hose looked like it pinched itself shut and the heat helped to crack the rubber. It seemed like it happened over time. And my CEL light is on. I was wondering if this is a common thing that happens. Should I be worried? Are there any more hidden problems that may occur from this hose being like that? Would I be able to drive it to the shop or local auto parts store? (Both are 10 minute drives.) Thanks.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: This hose is cracked. What does it do? Pics.

Get another one...? no big deal. Its the the hose that comes off the PCV valve. if theres not air coming out of it... it should be fine.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

That's a crank case vent tube coming out of your pass. side valve cover. No big deal, just get a new rubber hose when you can.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:45 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

Would that be causing my "Check Engine Light"? And how much does the dealership charge to turn it off? Is the car drivable or will I run into problems on it's trip for repairs.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Could you explain in further detail what your idle was doing? also which CEL did it throw?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:49 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SikGT

Would that be causing my "Check Engine Light"? And how much does the dealership charge to turn it off? Is the car drivable or will I run into problems on it's trip for repairs.

No probs man. Don't stress. Just drive it down to the parts house, get the new hose, and put it on. If the cel doesn't clear by the time you get home, disconnect the battery for a couple of hours, put it all back together and it should be fine.

Edit. Your ecm is just throwing the code because that's a pretty good size vacuum leak. If your worried about driving it, take the rubber off of the plastic hose, put some electrical tape around it, put it back on and then drive it to the parts house.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kylebgt

Could you explain in further detail what your idle was doing? also which CEL did it throw?
The car was idling like I had some big cams or something. But when I put my finger on the crack to seal it, then it idled smooth and all.

I don't have a code reader to tell you what code it's throwing out. I did that self diagnostic test on the gauge thing but it didn't tell me much on the trouble codes. It gave me 5284 or 5294 or something like that. It was the same code that was in the Mustangworld.com "How To-" page in their example pic. It said Oil Pressure Switch Failure or something but they say it's normal cause the car was off.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:51 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

No probs man. Don't stress. Just drive it down to the parts house, get the new hose, and put it on. If the cel doesn't clear by the time you get home, disconnect the battery for a couple of hours, put it all back together and it should be fine.
I'll try that first and I hope it works. I want to avoid a trip to the stealership. Thanx.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:52 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Get autozone to run a diagnostic test on it for free. tell them to give you the code and then to erase it. simple and free
Old 12-07-2006, 02:53 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

Edit. Your ecm is just throwing the code because that's a pretty good size vacuum leak. If your worried about driving it, take the rubber off of the plastic hose, put some electrical tape around it, put it back on and then drive it to the parts house.
Check the edit^^^^^^

Quick Reply: This hose is cracked. What does it do? Pics.