4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need help asap new engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:24 AM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

Default need help asap new engine noise

it is a forged 99 gt with stock heads aftermarket cams and vortec t-trim. we just started the car for the first time and the car started fine but we hear a loud noise in the front passenger side it is a very loud ticking noise. it is definetly the top end of the motor. i have two questions, one is it a lifter issue, and two can you change the lifters without pulling the heads off. also how do you check to see if the lifter is the problem. please help because my car has been down to long and i need it fixed quick
Old 12-07-2006, 03:27 AM
lVlustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need help asap new engine noise

If you changed the spark plugs something could have fell in. Pull the plugs, and see which plugs is messed up. Then pull the head, and clean it out. DO NOT LET IT RUN LONG!

It may or may not be this.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:31 AM
NXgt
2nd Gear Member

Dont discount a thrown rod bearing. it sounds very similar.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:32 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99roushgt

it is a forged 99 gt with stock heads aftermarket cams and vortec t-trim. we just started the car for the first time and the car started fine but we hear a loud noise in the front passenger side it is a very loud ticking noise. it is definetly the top end of the motor. i have two questions, one is it a lifter issue, and two can you change the lifters without pulling the heads off. also how do you check to see if the lifter is the problem. please help because my car has been down to long and i need it fixed quick
We can't hear that ticking noise of yours so no one is going to be able to tell you it definitely is a lifter. No you do not need to pull the head to change a lifter. What lift are you running on the cams? Are you using the factory lifters? Are you sure you got the timing chain on correctly? Possible valve to piston clearance issues?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:33 AM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

its not a rod knock its ba 100% brand new engine everything is brand new just fired it for the first time and heard this i doubt anything fell in there it spun freely but i will pull the plugs and see if any are damaged its definately in the top end and sound like its #1 cylinder i just dont know what a stuck lifter sounds like or if that is even the problem
Old 12-07-2006, 03:35 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99roushgt

its not a rod knock its ba 100% brand new engine everything is brand new just fired it for the first time and heard this i doubt anything fell in there it spun freely but i will pull the plugs and see if any are damaged its definately in the top end and sound like its #1 cylinder i just dont know what a stuck lifter sounds like or if that is even the problem

Pull the valve cover off and do a visual.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:36 AM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

its a 550 lift cam stock components except for valve springs and the noise is only on the left bank (passenger side) driver side is awesome no noise sounds like its stock so i dont know about PTV contact
Old 12-07-2006, 03:43 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

It isn't a lifter for sure, unless you have swapped a pushrod engine into the car :

https://mustangforums.com/m_1525549/tm.htm
Old 12-07-2006, 03:49 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

It isn't a lifter for sure, unless you have swapped a pushrod engine into the car :

https://mustangforums.com/m_1525549/tm.htm

O.K.,,,Hydraulic Fulcrum. Terminology has changed with the ohc, but it does the job a lifter used to do in an in-block cam motor.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:09 AM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

make sure all your spark plugs are in.. I know it sounds stupid but DO IT.. when one comes loose or out it makes one hell of a noise..

Quick Reply: need help asap new engine noise