4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

whining

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default whining

ok so heres the problem, lately ive noticed a small whine. a little more than usual, because the gears whine at highway speeds but very very minimal. well lately i noticed the whine getting a bit louder and louder. its only in 4th and 5th. and its increasingly loud at 4th when doin about 35 and just inch on the gas. its comin from the transmission. im not the most knowledgeable person on clutches so any input would be great. the clutch is stock and has 40000 on it. any ideas.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Silverpimpn
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: whining

well, if you have an aftermarket shifter - its probly just you noticing it - the transmissions whine... but I had to hear it to say - its normal or bad
Old 12-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Js 99 GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

ok so heres the problem, lately ive noticed a small whine. a little more than usual, because the gears whine at highway speeds but very very minimal. well lately i noticed the whine getting a bit louder and louder. its only in 4th and 5th. and its increasingly loud at 4th when doin about 35 and just inch on the gas. its comin from the transmission. im not the most knowledgeable person on clutches so any input would be great. the clutch is stock and has 40000 on it. any ideas.
You got gears or just like driving around in low rpms? I noticed a wine after i put the tri axe in, but its mostly in first and second.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Waderacin
1st Gear Member

If you have a 3650 the gears are wider and so they will have a friction tone. The shifter also usually isnt bushinged enough to keep it from harmonizing under low rpm chugging. What I would suggest is changing the fluid to synthetic like Redline or Royal Purple before you really start having problems. When was the last fluid change? and the rear? while your at it... 3.76 qts. for the change.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:05 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

the rear was changed acutally this last friday. um the tranny needs one. ive had my mgw for a while now and never had the first problem with it. this whining is only when im in 4th or 5th and cruisin at low rpms and just barely and i mean barely touch the throttle. its so loud that i can hear it with the windows down and the radio up all the way. imn a little worried because i plan on goin with a tko600 but thats not till after the blower. clutch maybe?? i know the TOB is shot, and it is slippin a tincy bit.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Waderacin
1st Gear Member

Maybe the TOB but I doubt the clutch disk itself would make a whinning noise. If it is only doin it in 4th and 5th that kinda rules out the TOB. Otherwise it would do it all the time in all the gears. 4th and 5th are on different shafts so I don think that it could be the diverter shaft. It could be the yenghulkenshimer, HELL i don t know at this point. My wife is asking me why im scratchin and shakin my head. Dont get me wrong it could be the TOB or internal im not sure. Good luck. I will keep thinkin about it and see if something blows up or if I figure it out.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:26 PM
dstangrunner
2nd Gear Member

I have the same prob. I replaced the clutch 2 weeks ago and pilot bearing and release bearing and it still does it. Im now guessing its just the tri-ax shift. Could be wrong. Thats why im searching this great site.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Waderacin
1st Gear Member

'ive had my mgw for a while now and never had the first problem with it.' Th is is the brand shifter he has I think. And I think he said its not the problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52454/8EE44617765043FBBE1AD52BBC050D92.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

For what it's worth,

In my 97 cobra I've got a whine that almost sounds like a turbo. But it's only in first and 2nd. Maybe after those gears the car is too loud to notice the sound...idk.

I had one mechanic tell me it was the TOB.

I'm a big fan of "if it aint broke, don't fix it." But in a car that new I'm not sure that philosophy would fly. It's kind of a "who owned the car before you" problem.

But you've got a 3650 and I'm used to the t-45's. So we may be dealing with apples and oranges here.

GL with the prob!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:09 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i know my TOB is bad, becuase at first it sounded like a cricket under the car, then it just slowly got bigger. but this i dont think is the problem at hand. im just wonderin i guess should i change the clutch or not.

i do have the mgw....it never gave me the first problem before my gears. now im wonderin if somethin is really wrong

Quick Reply: whining