4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

a little annoyed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: a little annoyed

I do most of my own work. I had to get a tob and clutch installed at a shop. Next time I need one im doing it myself. While it was in the shop the guy installed my exhaust for like 25$ I thought what the hell why not get it done.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brute03

i hate the idea of taking my car to the shop. i don't have a garage, but i do all my work in my sloped driveway
Nothing like crawling under a car on jackstands thats on a sloped drivway. I always get nervous when I'm cranking the wrench hard lol...
Old 12-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Waderacin
1st Gear Member

From plugs to rods, I cant seem to keep my hands out of every type of mechanical part of a vehicle. I am a Industrial Maintenance Mechanic at Dana Corp. Which is a division of Perfect Circle. I know you know the name Dana: 4x4 parts, chasis Perfect Circle piston rings, Clevite Bearings... we build just about every vehicle made including the Corvettes aluminum substructure and body. When you raise your hood on your car, there is alot of Dana under it. Its is great to have the ability to do your own work, but its even more rewarding teaching someone who doesnt know a thing about cars and then seeing them bloom into a badaxx horsepower seeking tech. My wife for example didnt know where the spare was let alone how to rebuild an engine. About a year ago we were building her a ricer and she started pushing me out of the way to do the work herself. She has helped me rebuild plenty of small blocks, so I would just about say she can put one together without any help. For you who dont know how to do the work, Learn; for you that do Dont Gloat it only makes you look like an axxhole. Me being a former shop mechanic, trust me when I say there are plenty of work out there to keep the shops open, its just how the shops are ran and if they stand by there work. To clear up any confusion the parts we make at my plant are camshafts for Detroit, Caterpillar, Perkins and so on and so forth. So usually when I cant get or buy it, I make it.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

ORIGINAL: Brute03

i hate the idea of taking my car to the shop. i don't have a garage, but i do all my work in my sloped driveway
Nothing like crawling under a car on jackstands thats on a sloped drivway. I always get nervous when I'm cranking the wrench hard lol...
thats freakin crazy ! I will pray for you . seriously guys stop doing that .
Old 12-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Waderacin
1st Gear Member

Yeah for the sake of your Mustang communite please find somewhere flat to work on. We dont need you killed buy the very thing you enjoy. Plus after it smushes and runs you over, who is left in its path? Could be someone close to you or that daxx sweet old lady that keeps stealing your paper everyday and you wish she would stop before you run her over on purpose. You know then again you can get you some long ramps that would be high and long enough to clear you, but the car would probably get messed up after hitting that bag of bones. (false teeth are hell on tires)
Old 12-07-2006, 06:32 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i do everything with friends, x was installed at exhaust shop though, i was in a rush and wanted in on the second i got it, took the shop less then an hour
Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Silverpimpn
I ♥ Acer

yea that is everywhere on here... people who cant do anything - or too afraid to try
Old 12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
doughboy4.6
3rd Gear Member

me and my club have done everything right down to the vortech
Old 12-07-2006, 07:44 PM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

Only problem with fkin around with stuff you dont know how to do is it ends up costing you twice as much to fix it after you screw it up. Everything im sure i can do, i do myself. If im not sure i take it to a professional that is sure, even if it costs me some money. Reminds me of a post i read earlier today. Guy put a branny new forged shortblock in his car and on the first start up it was knockin like a woodpecker. He has no idea what it is. Now he is sh*t out of luck. Start pullin motor back out, takin the whole dam thing back apart to see what it is. OH YEA that sounds like fun huh? My time is money and if his is too he got robbed.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:20 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

I haven't had the chance to do anything quite yet to my stocker....and when the time comes, more than likely i'll be doing it with a lot of help, coming from someone who knows what the hell they're doing!!! I'll be the first to admit that I have little to no mechanical skills. But I do know that I bust my *** every single day to earn the money to pay for whatever gets done to any of my vehicles.....I fully understand the points being made here, but there is a big difference b/t "rich daddy's boys" and a hard working man who jus so happens to not have a clue as to what hes doing under the hood......but, on the flipside, I am in the process of learning, hopefully with ya'lls assistance

Quick Reply: a little annoyed