4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

downshifting??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: downshifting??

ORIGINAL: GStam66

Wait, um, cant you just push the clutch in, hit the breaks a bit, going into the turn, then on your way out, rev a bit and let the clutch out again? Going into tthe turn and coming out in the same gear?

Forgive me, im new to manual trannys. [&:]
Yes you can. That's not a problem, sometimes you HAVE to do it. I.E. slow 90 degree turn. If you have to slow down so much it will try and die.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Js 99 GT
2nd Gear Member

I may be misunderstanding this, but I thought the guy was saying dont go from 5th, to forth and let out the clutch, then to third and let out the clutch, then to second and let out the clutch, and finially to first and let it out, like you would on a bike. I go in, pick a gear and go out, I dont row down the gears letting the clutch out every time.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Actually its important to drop it down to first or second around corners and gun it.

Because we all know ho's love mad l33t drifters.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:11 PM
suzukidragracer
2nd Gear Member

Putting it in neutral to go around turns is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If you ever ride a motorcycle, you'll understand why. By shifting into neutral you lose speed entering the turn and then by selecting the gear after the turn, you lose exit speed.

Always pick a gear to put it into. It makes it a much smoother ride. I had a friend with a Dodge Stratus R/T that did that and it annoyed the hell out of me because after every turn he'd then have to find a gear to select and many times had to then reselect a diff. gear because he picked one too high.
Exactly!

Always pick a gear before the turn and apply power THROUGH the turn! You don't want to be coasting in neutral through a turn anyways. PLUS, it's alot smoother.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

All this talk about double clutching and such really shows who actually knows how to drive and who thinks they can drive. Plain and simple it is completely not necessary to double clutch a modern trans. Rev match? sure. Heel toe? sure. Double clutch? not needed unless your Vin Diesel.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:24 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

by rev matching do you guys mean slip shifting? (shifting without clutch) i dont even double clutch when i drive my buddies mach, normally i just go from 4 and skip third till im slow enough to second and let the clutch out,
Old 12-08-2006, 10:40 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

All this talk about double clutching and such really shows who actually knows how to drive and who thinks they can drive. Plain and simple it is completely not necessary to double clutch a modern trans. Rev match? sure. Heel toe? sure. Double clutch? not needed unless your Vin Diesel.
I know, I was wondering what was up with some of these people.

Okay, it's really not that hard, look:

Double clutching is putting the clutch in, going to neutral, letting the clutch out, revving, then putting the clutch in, going back into gear and letting the clutch out.

THAT IS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY ON YOUR MUSTANG.

All you have to do is rev match, and that's just if you don't want to jolt the car and wear the clutch. To rev match just push the clutch in, put it in gear and as you're doing so/already done, hit the gas a little and let it out. You should be able to change the gear and rev at the same time. So say I'm dropping from third to second, I'd push the clutch in with my left foot, move the shifter to second, and as I'm finishing moving the shifter, tap the gas and let the clutch out. There's no need to stop in neutral, then rev, then continue. If you do that, we will be forced to laugh at you for double clutching a Mustang.

You also certainly can push the clutch in and let it out whenever you want to. Frequently when going around a corner, say a right turn, I'll be in whatever gear, I'll push the clutch in and brake into the corner, change it to second as I'm turning, then once I'm around the corner I give it a little gas and let the clutch out and go.

I really don't understand what confuses some people. I've been driving a manual for 4 months or so now with this Mustang and it's really not as difficult as you guys make it sound. Just stop watching fast and the furious and pretending to be a super cool ricer guy.

Edit: Oh, and OP: Mustangs can downshift with absolutely no problem. If you're cruising in 4th or so, coming to a stop light, drop it to second and let the engine slow you down. However, there are advantages and disadvantages. If you downshift, make sure you are rev matching or else you're going to put a lot of wear on the clutch by slipping it until the engine catches up. Also, if you slow down too fast without brake lights you're likely to be rear ended. Typically I don't bother with downshifting. Brake pads don't cost THAT much that I need to worry about saving my brakes at every possible chance I get. However sometimes if I am slowing down for something far ahead I'll just put it one gear lower and slow down like that. On my way home I have a hill that goes down, then ends in a little circle. I enter the circle in second, usually 2500-3000 RPMs in third at the top of the hill, so I just let third slow me down a little, then halfway down drop it to second for the circle. I typically hold the clutch in as I approach and start to enter the circle because it's hard to see until the last second, and I'm taking the first right out of it so I don't need too much speed anyway, as I head out of the circle it's the one place that I usually can't help but run out the gear. It's the last stretch before home and it's lightly downhill so I usually run out second, then just drop it in neutral and coast home.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:54 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

I had a 58 chevy with 3 speed manual gearbox.

Obviously I had the aftermarket floor shifter

You could downshift 3rd to 2nd but there were no syncros from 2nd to 1st.

You had to stop

Glad I got rid of that car!

Old 12-09-2006, 12:38 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Most cars do not have syncros for 1st gear, there is really no reason to down shift into 1st
Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

ORIGINAL: JD1969

I know, I was wondering what was up with some of these people.

Okay, it's really not that hard, look:

Double clutching is putting the clutch in, going to neutral, letting the clutch out, revving, then putting the clutch in, going back into gear and letting the clutch out.

THAT IS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY ON YOUR MUSTANG.

All you have to do is rev match, and that's just if you don't want to jolt the car and wear the clutch. To rev match just push the clutch in, put it in gear and as you're doing so/already done, hit the gas a little and let it out. You should be able to change the gear and rev at the same time. So say I'm dropping from third to second, I'd push the clutch in with my left foot, move the shifter to second, and as I'm finishing moving the shifter, tap the gas and let the clutch out. There's no need to stop in neutral, then rev, then continue. If you do that, we will be forced to laugh at you for double clutching a Mustang.

You also certainly can push the clutch in and let it out whenever you want to. Frequently when going around a corner, say a right turn, I'll be in whatever gear, I'll push the clutch in and brake into the corner, change it to second as I'm turning, then once I'm around the corner I give it a little gas and let the clutch out and go.

I really don't understand what confuses some people. I've been driving a manual for 4 months or so now with this Mustang and it's really not as difficult as you guys make it sound. Just stop watching fast and the furious and pretending to be a super cool ricer guy.

Edit: Oh, and OP: Mustangs can downshift with absolutely no problem. If you're cruising in 4th or so, coming to a stop light, drop it to second and let the engine slow you down. However, there are advantages and disadvantages. If you downshift, make sure you are rev matching or else you're going to put a lot of wear on the clutch by slipping it until the engine catches up. Also, if you slow down too fast without brake lights you're likely to be rear ended. Typically I don't bother with downshifting. Brake pads don't cost THAT much that I need to worry about saving my brakes at every possible chance I get. However sometimes if I am slowing down for something far ahead I'll just put it one gear lower and slow down like that. On my way home I have a hill that goes down, then ends in a little circle. I enter the circle in second, usually 2500-3000 RPMs in third at the top of the hill, so I just let third slow me down a little, then halfway down drop it to second for the circle. I typically hold the clutch in as I approach and start to enter the circle because it's hard to see until the last second, and I'm taking the first right out of it so I don't need too much speed anyway, as I head out of the circle it's the one place that I usually can't help but run out the gear. It's the last stretch before home and it's lightly downhill so I usually run out second, then just drop it in neutral and coast home.
That actually made things a lot clearer for me, lol.

Basically thats how i plan to slow down at a light. Ill push the clutch in, and hit the brakes. When the light turns green, launch normally. As far as turns, ill just try whatever feels most comfortable. Damn, i cant wait to start practicing... gotta wait till next weekend for my buddy to get his truck fixed.[&:]

Quick Reply: downshifting??