4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BBK LT's OR MAC LT's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 PM
LasrRd00GT

Default BBK LT's OR MAC LT's?

This one is basically comming down to everybodys knowledge and/or experience with either brand. Which one does everybody prefer? I want them to last, not something im going to invest in and have to replace 4 or 5 years later. Also, ive heard about clearance issues with LT's being lower to the ground as well as a difficult installation, can somebody give me the facts that i need to know like if its a small or large clearance difference and the main idea with the install, ive been told the engine needs to be pulled? is this true?

Thanks...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
01BlueCobraVert
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: BBK LT's OR MAC LT's?

I have BBK Lt's and I didn't have any issues. I put mine on when the motor was pulled, dropped K-member, trans, etc. Even with the engine on a stand while still attached to the K-member its was a little tricky. It still took atleast an hour per header. The passenger side one was harder to squeeze between the head and the k-member and then trying to access the bolts and get the gaskets lined up was the biggest b*tch. I have heard of people leaving the motor in while doing it although it has also taken them half a day to do it. It you have access to a lift and can pull the motor, do it. If not just have patience and a few beers and you will be good to go.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

ive always heard better things about BBK Ceramic Coated Longtube Headers.

they do go lower than stock exhaust...but clearance issues shouldnt be that bad except for over speedbumps and stuff i think. im pretty sure there a re people running LT Headers who are also lowered 2" and have a a body kit.

Install sucks...im having my speed shop do it. They hafta drop the K member and stuff...theyre charging me $400.

if you do end up gettin em...might as well get a good set of header gaskets that will last so you dont hafta go back in there later.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:31 PM
yellowgtstang18
4th Gear Member

I am goign with the mac l/t headers with the mac off road h pipe
Old 12-08-2006, 02:23 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

If your car is lowered at all you may bottom out the lt's on speed bumps and stuff, I do, you just have to be carefull. By the way, I have that stuff for sale if your interested pm me.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:03 PM
LasrRd00GT

The car is lowered with steeda sport springs (about 1.25") Is that going to be a problem with bottoming out?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

You are going to run into problems with the MAC LTs during installation... Fabrication is going to be needed. This is why I went with the BBK LT's, perfect fit, zero issues, great product.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:53 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

my bbk's fit fine, i do have clearance issues, but that is to be expected with any lt's. you should invest in the ceramic, and good gaskets (factory) to do it right the first time.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:00 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

You are going to run into problems with the MAC LTs during installation... Fabrication is going to be needed.
So you have to fabricate all MAC LT's but not BBK? Why would MAC make something that everyone has to change? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:28 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

my suggestion... if your gonna buy MAC LTs dont buy em used... they tend to warp and then you have your self one PITA install... even though installing LTs is a PITA anyway but with warped headers it will be even more or a PITA.

Quick Reply: BBK LT's OR MAC LT's?