4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Yes, Another Screw vs Centrifigul Blower Post

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:52 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Yes, Another Screw vs Centrifigul Blower Post

I think this is the point he was trying to make about the 03/04 cobras:

Everybody was sure that centris were the only way to go, and agreed that the insane extra price of the KB was not worth it.

Then, the 03/04 cobras came out, and its acutally cheaper on one of them to swap to a KB rather than a centri style unit...

All of a sudden, everyone with a GT is seeing these videos of KB cars laying down 600+ WHP and wants one. What they don't realise is that the 03/04 cobras have nothing to do with the GT cars.

Every single test I have seen back to back shows the centri units making more horsepower in the racing part of the powerband than the KB. Regardless of this, one thing is for certian. If you have ANY sort of a limited budget (not a millionare) then you WILL go faster with the same $$ spent on a centri car than a KB. That 2000 dollar hump is just crazy.

IF the kb chargers were the same price I could see owning one, but with it being 1.5 times more expensive (on a already very expensive mod) its just not worth it. Hell, your already over half way to a forged assembly right there!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:07 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shadowfoxx

Well.. I too am about to go FI with a daily driver and have done a lot of research on the subject. My advise is to pay attention to your rpm's when you drive.. see where you want your power.. the centri's dont start to make boost until around 3000-3500 rpm's.. where a twin screw like kenne bell will make boost at 2000 and above. I have decided that I am going with a kenne bell for my car. But they are more expensive. If you can afford it I would suggest KB but if not then go centri. just my .02
I disagree with that, if you look at my latest dyno sheets, it shows that I'm making boost from 2000 all the way through the power band. It just keeps climbing. No I'm not making FULL boost early, but it's still making boost all the way up. It pulls good all the way.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:31 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: 01SilverGT

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Mt Twigbert

IMO if you have an 03/04 then upgrade to the KB..

If you have ANYTHING other than that then go w/ a centri...

They will perform better and cost less..

I'm not knocking KB.. Just saying that from what I've seen centri units work better.. If you have an 03/04 then the KB is great because you can just swap out the SC..

I've raced an 04 that is pullied, tuned, exhaust work and K&N'd and from 0-90 we are dead even.. 90-115 I pull on him..
+1
Sorry to say guys, but this guy is talking about S/C his GT. Twigbert, your talking about S/C a Cobra, thats why you said if its an 03/04 just swap out the S/C's, LOL.

I might be biased, but if your not gonna be a track rat (kinda like gym rat), than go with the KB, the awesome torque down low is great and would be fun at the track or just riding around town. If you dont have a heavy foot (which how could you not if your S/C), but if you dont you will still get good gas mileage and can stay out of boost. There have been so many tests done on 2v's and some on the 3v's, and from what I remember the intercooled KB have beaten the Centri's more often. An intercooled 2.1KB runnin 9psi with some exhaust and an intake with a tune, could easily get you your 400rwhp.
how do ya figure? so you can sit at the line and spin your tires while the guy next to you with a vortech or pro charger are halfway down the track?

there's more of a learning curve with the KB to launch. i mean c'mon. how many people want to feather the shat out of their clutch and give it a little throttle coming out. with a centri, it'll be just like launching an n/a car.

pros and cons of KB:
pros: instant power right off the line
cons: instant power right off the line

you sound like you have your mind made up on a KB though, so why even post asking which one to get?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:31 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Personally, i'm very happy with my choice. The instant torque of the KB would be fun as hell for just scaring the **** out of people when im driving around on some m/t's or something. However, I took it out yesterday and its pretty damn cold out. I have 275 eagle f1's on it right now (stock cobra tires), at 45 mph i gave it LESS than half throttle and I spun a little at like 3k Rpms. If i had a KB any accel more than slowly at all would suck *****. I understand you can adjust where it 'hits', but for a DD i'd like the power to slowly increase with RPMs to which I can control what is happening with my car.

As everyone above said, given the same boost levels the centri most likely will win in a race (equal circumstances).
Old 12-09-2006, 01:37 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Dude, I can leap pretty good when I take off from a stop light. (bad gas mileage in the city, lol) It's always a race for me, whether anyones racing or not, lol. I love shifting from 1st to 2nd somewhate slow, then BAM punch the accelerator, lol. I've fish tailed so many times punching it like that.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:37 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

There is alot of old information in this thread that has sorta been disproved by Tim at MPH (CobraKiller on the forums)
1st myth being that KB's don't make top end power and aren't good for DD because of full boost down low. Anyone who has every driven a KB'd car will tell you if you don't want to be in boost at 3K RPM's then you don't have to be if you drive easy...if you romp it then it will produce boost rapidly. The other part is the top end BS...many of Tims customers switched from Novi 2K's to KB's and gained top end power and MPH in the 1/4...its been proven by Tim in many videos and posts over the past few years.

2nd myth is that Centri's don't make power down low and thats not entirely true either...if you want your centri to hit harder down low then upgrade to a T-trim or Novi2k etc and you will make more boost faster and add that smile to your face.

I believe alot of the stereotypes come from the blowers of 10+ years ago such as Roots blowers which we all know fall flat over 6K where a new KB can continue to make power and the old centri's were much smaller head units compared to todays base head unit that can flow enough to make 500rwhp on a 2V.

Price comparison...
Centri mongoose kit (non ic)= 3900
KB (non ic) =3900 so they are close...only difference is the centri kit includes a LMAF which is only $80 on ebay so not much of a cost difference.
It comes down to a matter of preference and what you like best...both style blowers will make anyone happy compared to what we have from the factory.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:41 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

I think the bottom line is WHO CARES. It's a friggin BLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love it. Yes if you want to dwell on what's best for you, it's really your own research and comparisons to decide what you want. Did I say WHO CARES. Put a blower on her(of course a reliable one) and call it a day.

GET BLOWN!!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:42 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Know whats funny? The people always in here defending KBs....aren't blown at all. And the people saying go with a centri at least have a centri blower on. Just something I've noticed...
Old 12-09-2006, 01:44 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

lol how true. If you don't have a blower (and your girlfriend or moms best friend doesn't count) DON'T POST LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:45 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

There is alot of old information in this thread that has sorta been disproved by Tim at MPH (CobraKiller on the forums)
1st myth being that KB's don't make top end power and aren't good for DD because of full boost down low. Anyone who has every driven a KB'd car will tell you if you don't want to be in boost at 3K RPM's then you don't have to be if you drive easy...if you romp it then it will produce boost rapidly. The other part is the top end BS...many of Tims customers switched from Novi 2K's to KB's and gained top end power and MPH in the 1/4...its been proven by Tim in many videos and posts over the past few years.

2nd myth is that Centri's don't make power down low and thats not entirely true either...if you want your centri to hit harder down low then upgrade to a T-trim or Novi2k etc and you will make more boost faster and add that smile to your face.

I believe alot of the stereotypes come from the blowers of 10+ years ago such as Roots blowers which we all know fall flat over 6K where a new KB can continue to make power and the old centri's were much smaller head units compared to todays base head unit that can flow enough to make 500rwhp on a 2V.

Price comparison...
Centri mongoose kit (non ic)= 3900
KB (non ic) =3900 so they are close...only difference is the centri kit includes a LMAF which is only $80 on ebay so not much of a cost difference.
It comes down to a matter of preference and what you like best...both style blowers will make anyone happy compared to what we have from the factory.

Lmao... please show me where I can get a full KB kit for that cheap minus LMAF. Over 6k on MPH's website.

Also, thats the thing about KB's what you said first. You cant eas into the trottle. If you drive like a ***** its not bad... but there is no middle ground with a KB. Personally i've never been in a GT with one... but I have been in a cobra with a KB. Very fun, but wouldnt want it as a DD.

Edit: scratch that (i've never been in a GT with a KB), i've never been in a stock engined GT with a KB. My friend has a 2.4l built engine etc.

Quick Reply: Yes, Another Screw vs Centrifigul Blower Post