4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Yes, Another Screw vs Centrifigul Blower Post

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:49 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Yes, Another Screw vs Centrifigul Blower Post

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Personally, i'm very happy with my choice. The instant torque of the KB would be fun as hell for just scaring the **** out of people when im driving around on some m/t's or something. However, I took it out yesterday and its pretty damn cold out. I have 275 eagle f1's on it right now (stock cobra tires), at 45 mph i gave it LESS than half throttle and I spun a little at like 3k Rpms. If i had a KB any accel more than slowly at all would suck *****. I understand you can adjust where it 'hits', but for a DD i'd like the power to slowly increase with RPMs to which I can control what is happening with my car.

As everyone above said, given the same boost levels the centri most likely will win in a race (equal circumstances).
You hit the nail right on the head. I think everyone see's the HP curve of the KB and falls in love. What they fail to acknowledge is the traction issues...

Something just not natural about the curve of a KB on a GT. With the Cobras they tend to be more upward sloping.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:49 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang2000

lol how true. If you don't have a blower (and your girlfriend or moms best friend doesn't count) DON'T POST LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!

C'mon guys!!!! KB's are awesome... cobras always have those in the videos!

Seriously though, the 03/04's are setup for a roots/ts design. 99/01 and Gt's are not. simple choice really. I still wanna see where i can get a full KB setup for 3900.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:53 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

Know whats funny? The people always in here defending KBs....aren't blown at all. And the people saying go with a centri at least have a centri blower on. Just something I've noticed...
lmao! +1
Old 12-09-2006, 01:53 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Lol the MPH customers that have had better times with their KB setups usually are running more boost then previously, and running SLICKS. Without slicks, I don't think you'd gain anything...you'd prolly lose trap.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:58 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

ORIGINAL: stang2000

lol how true. If you don't have a blower (and your girlfriend or moms best friend doesn't count) DON'T POST LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!

C'mon guys!!!! KB's are awesome... cobras always have those in the videos!

Seriously though, the 03/04's are setup for a roots/ts design. 99/01 and Gt's are not. simple choice really. I still wanna see where i can get a full KB setup for 3900.
Go back to the KB website and look!!! $3899 for the 99-04 6psi non ic kit...part # ts1000-99
your looking at the ic'd kit for upwards of $6000
Old 12-09-2006, 02:04 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

Lol the MPH customers that have had better times with their KB setups usually are running more boost then previously, and running SLICKS. Without slicks, I don't think you'd gain anything...you'd prolly lose trap.
Actually a few years ago Tim made it a point to swap the blowers and keep them similar to what they were before the KB and same boost levels so they probably had slicks pre KB...and how would they be running more boost if swapping from Novi 2k's which can easily do 20psi...i believe they were running less boost with the KB and making equal or better times with the KB
Old 12-09-2006, 02:12 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

From the very first post in this thread:

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

Here's the deal. I'm going FI. Yes I know the limits of the stock GT internals. My car is a DD and I have never been to a strip. I may go to one after I go FI just to see how it does, but running the 1/4 every weekend is not what I have planned for this car. What I really want out of it for now is a streetable 400rwhp DD. I know streetable and DD in the same sentence is almost an oxymoron, but hell man, I'm a grown up.[8D] Eventually I'm going to want 500rwhp after I can swing the bottom end upgrades.
Something I noticed that nobody else is talking about here; look at this guy's power goals: 400rwhp now, 500rwhp in the future.

400-425rwhp is about the limit (on pump gas, and a DD tune) for ANY modular motor with 2v heads. Sure you can dyno higher, but there is a big difference between a tune that can survive a dyno pull, and a tune that lets a motor survive very long on the street. Properly set up twin-screw or centri can easily get you to 400rwhp, and both will be fun to drive.

What concerns me is your goal of 500rwhp in the future. If you want that much power on pump gas in a DD, you need 4v heads. END OF STORY! Take it from someone who learned the hard (expensive) way. If you EVER expect to have 500rwhp on the street, sell your GT and buy a Cobra, add a Whipple, and you're there.

BTW, I have a complete 1.7L KB intercooled GT kit for sale for $3k (>5k miles on it). Includes 42# fuel injectors and 8-rib pulley upgrade kit. In fact, I have a crapload of parts left over from my 2v setup (ported head assemblies w/ stage III cams and high-lift springs)
Old 12-09-2006, 02:31 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

There is alot of old information in this thread that has sorta been disproved by Tim at MPH (CobraKiller on the forums)
1st myth being that KB's don't make top end power and aren't good for DD because of full boost down low. Anyone who has every driven a KB'd car will tell you if you don't want to be in boost at 3K RPM's then you don't have to be if you drive easy...if you romp it then it will produce boost rapidly. The other part is the top end BS...many of Tims customers switched from Novi 2K's to KB's and gained top end power and MPH in the 1/4...its been proven by Tim in many videos and posts over the past few years.

2nd myth is that Centri's don't make power down low and thats not entirely true either...if you want your centri to hit harder down low then upgrade to a T-trim or Novi2k etc and you will make more boost faster and add that smile to your face.

I believe alot of the stereotypes come from the blowers of 10+ years ago such as Roots blowers which we all know fall flat over 6K where a new KB can continue to make power and the old centri's were much smaller head units compared to todays base head unit that can flow enough to make 500rwhp on a 2V.

Price comparison...
Centri mongoose kit (non ic)= 3900
KB (non ic) =3900 so they are close...only difference is the centri kit includes a LMAF which is only $80 on ebay so not much of a cost difference.
It comes down to a matter of preference and what you like best...both style blowers will make anyone happy compared to what we have from the factory.
There is simply NO comparasion of a non intercooled KB setup and a non intercooled vortech setup. None whatsoever.

Show me a single KB setup without an intercooler making over say even 400 WHP. MPH has plenty of non intercooled vortech Sq setups in teh 500+ range.

Not to to mention you cannot do a 500 dollar DIY kit on a KB kit. You have to purchase the extremely expensive KB intercooler. Screw that.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:33 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

From the very first post in this thread:

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

Here's the deal. I'm going FI. Yes I know the limits of the stock GT internals. My car is a DD and I have never been to a strip. I may go to one after I go FI just to see how it does, but running the 1/4 every weekend is not what I have planned for this car. What I really want out of it for now is a streetable 400rwhp DD. I know streetable and DD in the same sentence is almost an oxymoron, but hell man, I'm a grown up.[8D] Eventually I'm going to want 500rwhp after I can swing the bottom end upgrades.
Something I noticed that nobody else is talking about here; look at this guy's power goals: 400rwhp now, 500rwhp in the future.

400-425rwhp is about the limit (on pump gas, and a DD tune) for ANY modular motor with 2v heads. Sure you can dyno higher, but there is a big difference between a tune that can survive a dyno pull, and a tune that lets a motor survive very long on the street. Properly set up twin-screw or centri can easily get you to 400rwhp, and both will be fun to drive.

What concerns me is your goal of 500rwhp in the future. If you want that much power on pump gas in a DD, you need 4v heads. END OF STORY! Take it from someone who learned the hard (expensive) way. If you EVER expect to have 500rwhp on the street, sell your GT and buy a Cobra, add a Whipple, and you're there.

BTW, I have a complete 1.7L KB intercooled GT kit for sale for $3k (>5k miles on it). Includes 42# fuel injectors and 8-rib pulley upgrade kit. In fact, I have a crapload of parts left over from my 2v setup (ported head assemblies w/ stage III cams and high-lift springs)

Completely and totally incorrect. Both the centri and KB units will easily make more than 500 WHP in a daily driver without swapping the heads, or even doing anything to the stock 2v heads.

Please please please argue with me on this so I can produce video to prove you wrong.

If your shop told you you could not make 500+ WHP in a pump gas DD with your 2v engine, you got screwed hard, plain and simple.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

well 200gt4.6 you beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing. You DON'T have to have 4 valve heads to get the 500 mark. END OF STORY, lol. Sure 4v sure would help get their much faster rather than overworking those poor 2v heads but hey you can do it.

Ok I'm out for now. I've gotta go do some xmas shopping.

Quick Reply: Yes, Another Screw vs Centrifigul Blower Post