4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Goin Turbo, Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:32 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default Goin Turbo, Suggestions?

Well the iinsurance company is totaling my car because some A**hole here in Flint decided to pop my locks and trash my car, So.. I guess it's going to be mine free and clear, after the deducable of course! lol

Anyway, I decided that I want turbos, twin... Home made set up, using 16G DSM turbos... I don't want enormous power but some good number would be nice. 400rwhp with capable of handling more if I decide to forge and upgrade the fuel.

Suggestions Please:
(everything from tech to tune!)
Old 12-10-2006, 06:04 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Goin Turbo, Suggestions?

Well any decent twin turbo set up ... tuned will be around 7000-7500 and to be honest with you .. unless you have butt loads of money .. they aren't the best way to go .. that was my initial want .. and to be honest .. Helion I believe is comming out with a new single turbo kit that will have the option for future upgrade for a twin if you want to in the future .. I was in the middle of gathering parts for a single remote mount turbo system when after reading for quite some time .. fell in love with KB's ... but again .. if you want real advice and for the power you're looking for .. go wtih a supercharger unless you're really wanting to dump alot of effort time and cash into that car ...
Old 12-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Sure hope you know what you are doing if you plan on doing a 'home made setup'.

If you have the experience and knowledge to do a 'home made setup' you really shouldn't have a need to ask for vague suggestions.

What do you want to know? What exactly do you need suggestions about?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:12 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Well the iinsurance company is totaling my car because some A**hole here in Flint decided to pop my locks and trash my car, So.. I guess it's going to be mine free and clear, after the deducable of course! lol

Anyway, I decided that I want turbos, twin... Home made set up, using 16G DSM turbos... I don't want enormous power but some good number would be nice. 400rwhp with capable of handling more if I decide to forge and upgrade the fuel.

Suggestions Please:
(everything from tech to tune!)
Your talking about the 16G turbos from the stock 1st and 2nd gen eclipse??Those turbos are dirt cheap for a reason.. .nobody wants them. They are small and inefficent.

There is another forum member on here that bought all the stuff and was going to do his own turbo kit, until he started to get into it and saw what a nightmare it is.

On a stock engine car there is no reason to go with a set of turbos anyway. You can make 400 WHP easy with the right supercharger setup. I have simply been completely unimpressed with turbo setups on stock engine cars, Wtih the 6000 RPM redline it seems like all the ones I have seen get the supra effect.. that is to say bog, and then it comes on all at once and you spin, rinse and repeat until 4th.

Just get a centri/twin screw kit and save yourself the headche.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

www.turbomustangs.com
Old 12-10-2006, 01:16 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

why do i have the feeling this will never happen
Old 12-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Cheap was the way I wanted to go and as far as tech suggestions, if anyone had done it before, to throw some do's and don'ts my way, there are things that only someone that has done it before could know! It isn't a question of if I know what I'm doing or not.

I don't think their "Crap". They take DSM's into the 11 all day long with less supporting mods than it takes our mustangs... Those turbos are cheap and they last and can take any abuse thrown their way. I have a DSM and the thing is so much quicker and faster than my PI swaped stang. A single turbo, stock 205 hp at 7 PSI. It's good till like 16lbs without a high dollar FP & reg. With a MBC, exhaust, fuel pump "rewire", and a 2g air intake i'll push 300rwhp all day long... I guess that car doesn't matter but those turbos Are not CHEAP in quality only in price...

I know they wouldn't be Like the high dollar Garret or helion set ups but their still efficient & quality enough, i think. I would also port the housings or even use the Big16g which carries the single T DSM's into 400+hp range.

I've driven SC cars and I am not impressed, the numbers are good (doughboy4.6 429rwhp no intercooler) But there is no better feeling that a pull of a turbo!

thanks for the replies, keep em comin
Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

why do i have the feeling this will never happen
Cause it's hard work and i'm a poor college student living on student loans and the GI Bill and no one willing to help the idea... Thats why it wont ever get done. Now the reason it may get done is my drive to have my stang turbo'd and "mustang forums" members posting real advise and section moderators not being smart butts... Everything starts with an idea right? Well I've had mine, are you gonna help or just be synical

I love my stang, and i want turbos. I want advise so when I decide to start doing it I can and for the cheapest price with the least amount of problems... Just help don't bitch

Old 12-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Eh, 90-94 DSM makes 195hp with about 9-10 pounds. Second gen makes 210hp with around 12-14 pounds of boost. The 16G turbos are not the stock ones. Those things cost around $500 a piece.
It's good till like 16lbs without a high dollar FP & reg. With a MBC, exhaust, fuel pump "rewire", and a 2g air intake i'll push 300rwhp all day long
Too bad DSMs never came with RWD[&:] With those minimal mods you won't even hit 300 hp at the crank.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

You've got the Automatic numbers for 2g's i think... and you are right about the 9-10 psi if they have taken out the restricter from the BCS... Stock 91 GSX is 205, 300hp its totaly achievable with a stock turbo and Basic mods... I didn't get specific on mods, but I will if I need too. These are great novilty cars and go fast for cheap thats all I meant... thanks, but back to the stang...

Quick Reply: Goin Turbo, Suggestions?