4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which Cam is the best for my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
JT76

Default Which Cam is the best for my setup?

Which is the best cam out there? I know there is comp and VT and others but which one is the best. I have had a hard time finding the VT cams. I have been told by some on here that the Stage 1 cam is best for a non built engine but then i have had others advocate for the stage 2. My current set up on my 2002 GT is x pipe, catback, tb/plenum/CAI, diablosport predator, 4.10 gears. Im doing Lt headers over the winter and stall converter and tranny cooler in early April....

PS. should i bother doing the valve springs if i do stage 1 cams? i herd they are unecessary.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Cam is the best for my setup?

I've had good luck with Comp Cams over the years in various engines.

It's generally a good idea to replace springs at the same time, even if you don't have to. Springs wear out over time, so you'll just be shortening the life of your engine combo (before you lose revs due to float).
Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 PM
mufastang
1st Gear Member

will stage 1 comp cams give my 96 gt a rougher more muscle sounding idle or will it sound the same?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:26 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I have heard alot of horror stories about the comp cams for modular engines.

VT FTW.

Are you planning on this pretty much being the last mods to the car? What are your future plans if any?

The stage ones will NOT require the springs, and there isn't any reason to put them on unless you have quite a few miles on the car. I have heard that valvesprings will wear out pretty bad over time with highermilage cars, so if your have alot of miles on it the springs would be a good idea.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:40 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

vt stage 1 n/a cams FTW. thats what i have and i love them. you can feel a difference in power in the upper rpms.. and the idle sounds awesome
Old 12-10-2006, 09:43 PM
JT76

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I have heard alot of horror stories about the comp cams for modular engines.

VT FTW.

Are you planning on this pretty much being the last mods to the car? What are your future plans if any?

The stage ones will NOT require the springs, and there isn't any reason to put them on unless you have quite a few miles on the car. I have heard that valvesprings will wear out pretty bad over time with highermilage cars, so if your have alot of miles on it the springs would be a good idea.
my car only has 29K miles on it so i guess that is low milage......my future plans for the car, besides the LT's that are going in at the same time, is probably a centri blower of some type and maybe (big maybe) some heads....with this setup would you still reccomend stage 1's?

P.S. do you kno a source for VT cams? i cant seem to find them, i kno mustang tuning used to carry them.....
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

VT, only way to go.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:45 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

www.vtengines.com
Old 12-10-2006, 09:47 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Thats a hard one.

On the one hand the N/A cams are not ideal for a supercharged setup.

On the other hand, my results were pretty good. I am sure I could make more power with a blower specific cam, but I am intentionally leaving the tune just a bit rich to keep the power where it is. I feel more comfortable with a bit of a satey margin on the stock shortblock.

If I was gonna do it all over, I would have held off on the cams and did some suspension work, or just gotten the blower ASAP. I was not really impressed with the cams gains (I did pickup 30 WHP at redline, but very little at peak) n/a but it seems to be really helping now that I am FI, n/a cams or not.

If you don't plan on EVER getting a forged shortblock, or you have no problem with swapping the cams again if you do, you are ok going with either the stage 1s or 2s right now. If you get a forged assembly and want to make more power the n/a cams have to go.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
JT76

thanks for the info guys. After looking at the VT cams they are priced the same as the others, so i will take it from the experts that they are superior. Now all i have to decide is stage 1 or stage 2.....decisions decisions

Quick Reply: Which Cam is the best for my setup?