4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

california emmission laws

Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 PM
bvballer12
2nd Gear Member

Default california emmission laws

does anyone know the penalty for driving with an x-pipe without cats in california? im thinking about asking for one for christmas unless the penalty is too big...i dont want to get ****ed
Old 12-10-2006, 10:31 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

Default RE: california emmission laws

dude, if your in cali, dont even bother with it. the cops there are soo **** about it and wont think twice to pull you over if your car sound too loud. they also have alot of nox sniffers on onramps and stuff. performance wise, its not worth it for the risk. here in texas, nobody really cares. but if you really want the o/r go with the SLP catted one and buy the race pipe with it so you can bolt and unbolt the cats with no problem
Old 12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

It would also be an automatic fail if you had to take your car to get smogged if you moved or if your in a place that does periodicals. Thank you very much lamer fear-tactic no science Liberals and your destruction of the Automobile in the great state of California.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:40 PM
bvballer12
2nd Gear Member

i was thinking i could just put my old h-pipe in when i have to get it smogged...what are the chances of me being caught? and if i do what happens?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 PM
bvballer12
2nd Gear Member

cmon guys, i need to know so i can pick which pipe to buy (cats or no cats)
Old 12-11-2006, 12:00 AM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

I'm in cali and have run the no cats h-pipe for two years now. I only got caught once only because my buddy was driving 130+ on the highway and we got pulled over for that. The no cats issue was a "by the way" remark. He said I could get fined $1700, but I acted dumb and said I would put my cats back on right away. Now I'm running L/T's (well, very soon) with a prochamber. Let's see if I get caught.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:50 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bvballer12

does anyone know the penalty for driving with an x-pipe without cats in california? im thinking about asking for one for christmas unless the penalty is too big...i dont want to get ****ed
I would just go catted if I was in your position. Depending on where in CA you are, you could be in for quite a fine. I do believe that around Davis, they will give you a thousand dollar fine, and do have the ability to confiscate your car. I have been wanting to get a catted x pipe for my 04, but I am unsure if the car will pass a sniffer test with only one cat instead of the cat plus 2 pre-cats. Hope it works out for you.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Dood.. get the o/r if you like the sound of it. Either way, if you order one of these regular old catted midpipes off the internet, it WONT pass emissions in Cali. Unless you order one with cats on it that are CARB legal, you won't pass. My catted h pipe is illegal because the cats are DOT approved for every state but Cali. If I were running an o/r h it would be the same penalty as the one I have now, unless I played stupid. I bought mine catted due to sound preference, not emissions legality. My friend has a 98 Cobra that he had a muffler shop buy a magnaflow o/r x pipe for, then weld in CARB legal cats. Cost him a ton of money, the shop raped him on labor. Just do what everyone does.. buy whatever pipe you like online, then switch it out for smogging. Chances of you getting caught aren't very high.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:08 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsg04gt

Dood.. get the o/r if you like the sound of it. Either way, if you order one of these regular old catted midpipes off the internet, it WONT pass emissions in Cali. Unless you order one with cats on it that are CARB legal, you won't pass. My catted h pipe is illegal because the cats are DOT approved for every state but Cali. If I were running an o/r h it would be the same penalty as the one I have now, unless I played stupid. I bought mine catted due to sound preference, not emissions legality. My friend has a 98 Cobra that he had a muffler shop buy a magnaflow o/r x pipe for, then weld in CARB legal cats. Cost him a ton of money, the shop raped him on labor. Just do what everyone does.. buy whatever pipe you like online, then switch it out for smogging. Chances of you getting caught aren't very high.
I have found CARB legal cats on catted X pipes, but they are still not legal in CA. Why? Because you are removing the pre-cats. I am not too worried about passing the visual, since it seems most places here do not even check unless you do not pass the sniffer. Does anybody know if a catted CARB legal x pipe will pass a sniffer in CA without the pre-cats? I just do not have the ability (or space) to switch out a stock pipe every 2 years.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:23 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

My friend has a 98 Cobra that he paid a muffler shop to install shorties, magnaflow "custom" x pipe that i described, and weld in flows. He paid them something rediculous like $2100 because hes an idiot. I belive he said his car had 6 stock cats on it, which is what I've heard the older stangs do in fact have. The shop guaranteed it's legal with a total of two CARB legal cats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: california emmission laws