4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just installed MAC LT's on a 96 auto. Open for questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Default Just installed MAC LT's on a 96 auto. Open for questions.

I just got put my motor in with MAC long tubes. My car's a 96 GT automatic. Yes, the do fit in an auto, but I had to bust out the blow torch, crow bar, sledge hammer (for the tie rod ends) and angle grinder. I don't care what they say, you MUST drop the K-member whenever you install long tubes, whether the motor's out or not. Plus, don't put on the right side header until the motor's bolted to the tranny, you can't get to the bolts with the header on. I know a couple of you guys were going top install LT's and had a few questions, so I'm open for discussion.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:10 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just installed MAC LT's on a 96 auto. Open for questions.

I read on a site just recently about someone intalling the MAC's and they dropped the kmember removed the brakes rotors springs. I'm thinking I'll be going with the BBK LT's and the MAC O/R prochamber how does it sound?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

I was able to install my lt with my k in place I just had to lift the passenger side up a 1/2 to slip that side in. now with my tubular k member I can take them out and install them no problem
Old 12-11-2006, 12:22 AM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

How does the setup sound? I don't have the motor running yet, I still need to bolt on my k-member and get everything connected to the motor. I'll have it up in a few days. I just wanted to help clear up some questions about the install. I removed the brake rotors and springs. You at least need to remove the calipers so you don't pull apart your brake lines when the k-member is dropped (literally, in my case). I removed the springs, but I guess I really didn't have to, it just made maneuvering everything easier.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:24 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

did you remove the innner fender lining? Dd you use ramps ? jacks? a lift? how long did it take you?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rantheman

I was able to install my lt with my k in place I just had to lift the passenger side up a 1/2 to slip that side in. now with my tubular k member I can take them out and install them no problem
Props to you, I don't see how the heck you could without removing the K-member. I guess if you were just doing the headers, it might be possible, but I would say it's definately easier without that in the way. I was dropping the motor in with the headers already on and there's no way it could be maneuvered in without clearing some room from the k-member.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

Well Mine are FLotech long tubed headers they sound great with my o/r x-pipe and flowmaster mufflers all I had to do for the install was I took the valve covers off to get the the upper bolts easier and lifted the motor up slightly for the pass header. now with my tubular k I can get around the header easly but I still have a pain getting to my egr tub on the header
Old 12-11-2006, 12:26 AM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

I did not have to remove the fender lining. I used a set of jack stands in the frame and a cherry picker to hold up the motor and be able to move it up/down. It took me all day, but that's because I learned a few new things, and made some mistakes.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:28 AM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Ya, I had to bend the tube that the egr tube connects to. It was manufactured with the wrong angle and I had to heat it up and bend it about half an inch.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

yeah my egr worked it was just a pain to start the thread and I could only turn the wrench a 1/8 of a turn but to make it easy flowtech uses a two piece header on the driver side.

Quick Reply: Just installed MAC LT's on a 96 auto. Open for questions.