4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Getting Cams soon..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:07 AM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

Default Getting Cams soon..

I'm looking to get a VT stage 2 blower cam, but i'm stock at the moment, I have big plans for the car in the long run, but will most likely take a while to get all of it, shortblock,blower, ect. But, I'm just making sure i can get this cam on a stock motor. And will have a nice idle?<---VERY important And what all i will be needing to buy i know i need valve springs, but do i need anything else as well? And I looked on vtengines.com and kinda just picked out the one that they have i don't know anything about the intake lift and all that stuff..Could someone try and point me in the right direction with it..

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:40 AM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Getting Cams soon..

i am not sure on this subject but with the stage 2 blower cams your car will run like crap. don't get the cams until you are ready to go F/I. i could be wrong but that is what i think
Old 12-11-2006, 02:46 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I would definatly be giving VT a call before putting a set of FI cams in a N/A car.

Also, cams would definatly not be my first mod. There are plenty of other things to do first that will give you good gains and start building the car up for FI while still making a big difference now (n/a).

Look into exhaust and gears to start with, then maybe a couple intake boltons etc. If I were to do it over again, I would have waited to do the cams until after the blower was on (or did them at the same time).
Old 12-11-2006, 02:51 AM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

I want to get gears badly, I have exhaust and a MGW but I consider that "stock." For some reason my parents won't let me get gears....Cuz the only reason i want them is cuz the acceleration. So it is either get camshaft or save up for a blower, (which will take me a while) So i wanted to get the cams to get the sound while i save up for a blower.. (Other wise i'd have gears already but the parents again, "only reason u want them is to go fast.")
Old 12-11-2006, 02:55 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

define "exhaust". Are you talking about just a catback or the entire setup front to back?

Either way your going to need a tuner of some sort. I recommend a SCT handheld, but what you really need is whatever the local shop can custom tune.

Not that parents always make since, but thats kinda crazy. All the mods are helping the car be faster...

I would of course never recommend anyone disobey their parents, but what they don't know about......
Old 12-11-2006, 03:03 AM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

It's just a catback, they figure everything will make it faster but, i guess they need another reason for me to get it, like cams with the older car sound, midpipe make it louder, intake gas mileage (dunno if it's true tho..) gears, just FASTER, they don't know much about blowers so i might be able to sneak that by them..They ask my uncle for anything and everything i plan on doing to my car he USED to mess with cars and just assumes stuff like i said something about nitrous and he told my parents "well yeah but it'll cost u about 2500 to replace ur motor" They are misinformed i guess and take his word over mine..if it makes since. (sorry for the long post for just having to say "catback")
Old 12-11-2006, 03:04 AM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

im lost here. they wont let you get gears because they are gonna make you accelerate faster, but they are gonna let you supercharge the car?? doesnt make sense to me. but if i were you. do cams LAST. and please dont be doing the cams just for the sound.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:07 AM
01stangt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RiCe_KiLlEr

im lost here. they wont let you get gears because they are gonna make you accelerate faster, but they are gonna let you supercharge the car?? doesnt make sense to me. but if i were you. do cams LAST. and please dont be doing the cams just for the sound.
It's not just for the sound that's what i have to go by to let me get them, I want my car to be different from every other stang out there too. I figured cams were soemwhat rare to have and i likek the way they sound too tho..
Old 12-11-2006, 03:09 AM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

ok i gotcha. if you just do cams right now with your mods you wont see much of a gain. you need to open up your exhaust. (headers, midpipe, catback) also do your intake mods. like i said do cams last
Old 12-11-2006, 03:10 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

IMO you really need to get a couple more supporting boltons before looking at a set of cams.

I have never seen a set of cams in a basically stock car. If I were you, I would be looking to get a set of LTs, a midipe, underdrive pulleys (unless you really will be able to supercharge the car anytime soon) a couple intake boltons, a handheld, and maybe pull a fast one and get the gears put in at your local shop without anyone knowing about it.

Quick Reply: Getting Cams soon..