4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang+Rain=Spinout? UPDATE! NEW MEATS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:15 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang+Rain=Spinout?

ive driven in downpours many times and only loose traction when im not paying attention and try to do something as if it was dry out (take a turn to fast or accelerate to fast). so i think you should invest in some new tires so you dont park the car in a telephone poll one day.

my car had new tires put on it the day i bought the car from the dealer, ive put about 7k on them with no burnouts. they are a no name brand "wanali" tire and im not sure of the rating etc.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:17 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

Those are the exact tires I have. But are they rated for rain? I need something practical.
Honestly, if I lived somewhere with so little rain, there is no way I'd get all weather tires. It can only be 1 of 3 things, your tires are completely bald, which you say they aren't, You aren't going as slow as you say you are, or it's likely that you are correct in assuming that the roads are slick after the first rain. Either way, there's no reason you should be sliding aroudn that much if you try not to. Lets just assume that it's a combo of your tires being old and the roads being slick after no rain in months and just say get new tires and either slow down even more or don't drive either when it's raining, or at least not until it's rained for long enough to clean off the roads.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:20 AM
meyerj88
2nd Gear Member

yea it must be your tires. i don't have much trouble at all w/ my car in the rain. if you're having this much trouble w/ rain, i'd hate to imagine snow. i'm not saying you're a bad driver or anything, im just making a statement.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:24 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

I'm really not looking for all weather tires. Just something that will keep my tires stuck to the floor when I need it most. Another thing to consider is, what if I had to slam the stopper? I wouldn't slow down a bit. On dry conditions, my tires don't lock up or skid. I slam and it comes to a halt with no screeching. I need new brakes too. They're getting old.

OK. I've had it with all this stuff going wrong. I'm giving my car an entire maintenence tune-up. New tires, brakes, oil change, tune-up etc. Too many problems I've been avoiding, I gotta put an end to it all. Oh well. Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:27 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

I don't see how "being 16 is half the problem". Anybody can speed, not just High School kids. I don't drive a mile over the limit, dry or wet conditions. Don't judge me by my age, leave that for the insurance companies, dude. And obviously, knowing how to shift fast doesn't make you a good driver. I'm not the average ignorant teen you guys think I am. I respect the car that I bought for myself. I wouldn't beat on it. I have a good control of the car, just conditions were prime for an accident today, and I avoided it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that it's my tires. I'm getting a new set tomorrow. Any inexpensive suggestions?
being 16 (and therefore inexperienced) CAN be half the problem. Young new drivers do not have the behind the wheel experience that older people do. I am not saying you are a bad driver, but compared to somebody who is 20, 25, 30, etc... you are inexperienced. Its not meant to be an insult, it is just a fact. Young drivers DO NOT have the behind the wheel experience of someone who is older than they are and have been driving for longer. If you can handle the car and respect it, that is geat. I guarantee you though that a lot more people your age are going to get into an accident than people of my age.

It was raining pretty good up in Nor Cal too. I did not see any accidents, but some people sure do like to drive WAY too fast for the conditions. Why the @$#^ do you have to go 95 when it is pouring rain out?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Yeah man its been raining since yesterday. Pretty crazy hahaha. Im still getting used to having 320 ponies in this car. But yeah spinning out can be fun.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:31 AM
chrissilver3975
2nd Gear Member

Im sure its the tires.. I never had a problem with my stang except one time when I had tires that were close to bald. It was raining and I was coming off a bridge going downhill at about 50 and I hit a puddle and slid around and almost slid into a guard rail.. Im lucky I didnt get hit or hit anything. With these rwd's, you have to watch tires with little tread.. All it takes is a little puddle (like in my case) to send you spinning.. especially in a older mustang without t/c.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:33 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Yeah I agree with the inexperience, but I can't stand it when people think all high schoolers speed. I don't have the experience of somebody your age, but until I do, I only stick to the laws, and what I think is an appropriate speed given the current conditions of the road.

I'd like to acknowledge you guys for being polite, theres other forums out there that would have turned this post into a "lets flame the kid" thread.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Those are the exact tires I have. But are they rated for rain? I need something practical.
Well if you have Falken Ziex 275's then those roads must be superslick. I live in West Tn, and it rains quite often, and I didnt have a bit of trouble in the rain. And I had gears. So, just ease off the clutch a little slower. Ive driven in the rain with D/R's and it was really slick. I kept it under control for 50 miles on the way home. Itll just take a little time to get used to the wet.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:41 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

But thats just it...More rain is not a problem. In fact, if it was downpour I would probably not have spun out. It would have washed away all the gunk thats been piling up on the roads for 9 months until a little moisture saturates into it all, making the roads superslick. More rain is better in my case.

Quick Reply: Mustang+Rain=Spinout? UPDATE! NEW MEATS!