4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

replacing fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
lovemyponies

Default replacing fuel filter

i need to replace my fuel filter .is it difficult ?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: replacing fuel filter

no, very easy. you'll need a fuel filter tool from the auto parts store. also, you don't need to drain the fuel system, you just need to have a rag handy.

buy yourself a hayne's manual or something similar, it has step-by-step how-to's.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:31 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Yeah, very simple. Jack up the back of the car (be sure to put blocks in front of and behind the front wheels!) and it's right there on the front of the fuel tank.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

i did mine a few months ago, and it take about 10 minutes. its very simple. the fuel filter is located behind ur fuel tank. its basically and off with the old and on with the new install.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:40 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

If you have the quick disconnects, no. Pull the plug on the fuel shut off in the trunk to kill the fuel in the system, start it up until it dies about 2 seconds later, now you will have the system pressure down. Also unplug the battery for safety. Put it on stands if you want, gives you a little more room, but I didn't.

The most important thing to remember is bring many rags with you. If you can, an old towel even. Loosen up the strap holding it in first before disconnecting, then disconnect the first hose, grab the hose with a rag in your hand and pull it apart. When you take the first off you're going to get quite a bit of fuel that's left over in the system and in the filter itself dumping out. If you have a rag or two in your hand you'll catch it all with no problem. Go ahead and tilt the filter to one end to drain all the rest of the fuel out into your rag while you're at it, it'll just be easier that way.

Then move on to disconnecting the second hose, again with a rag because you'll probably get a little more fuel, but not as much. Then you can slide the old filter out, just remember to again hold a rag over whichever end you tilt downward as you slide it out. I changed mine for the first time a month ago or so and I didn't spill a drop until I somehow forgot that when I tilt it, it's still half full of gas and will dump all over my face. That's why I say to tilt it to dump it out after you take the first hose off.

Anyway, after that you should be able to just slide it out (look at the flow arrow on the side and remember which direction it flows so you can put it back on the same way), put the new one in, hook up the hoses, hook up the battery and reconnect the fuel shut off and you're done.

Whole thing probably takes 15-30 minutes for your first time, 5-10 minutes after that.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

dood, pour the gas from the fuel filter in a clear glass. Youll see how much dirt was in it. pretty cool.

Oh yea and the most important tip is press the tool in, hold the filter, and pull the line. Dont try to do it backwards and pull the filter from the line or youll be under there for hours.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:45 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

you do not need to run your car until it dies to evacuate the fuel system. just have an old t shirt and expect fuel to come out. it's not even that much fuel...
Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

you do not need to run your car until it dies to evacuate the fuel system. just have an old t shirt and expect fuel to come out. it's not even that much fuel...
Yeah, but it takes 5 seconds to do and it makes even less fuel come out so why not? It's literally just unplug it, start it, wait for a few seconds, then start changing it.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

all I'm saying is that you don't actually need to do it to do the job. it doesn't bother me if you do.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:15 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

all I'm saying is that you don't actually need to do it to do the job. it doesn't bother me if you do.
True, it's not necessary, either way works fine in the end.

Quick Reply: replacing fuel filter