4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which centrifugal s/c do you run?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:28 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which centrifugal s/c do you run?

Every time you change your oil you change your s/c oil
How much work is it to change your s/c oil and what kind of oil do you use?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:30 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I dunno which one is better but I went w/ the Procharger..

1) I liked the louder whistle..
I would like a louder whistle too. I'll probably eventually get a centri, but I would want a loud, sweet sounding BOV too.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:51 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

well on here all we ever here is "get the MPH mongoose - TUNED by TIM himself (in the mail)"... lol thats what a mail order tune is kiddies, I swear I know somebody is going to flame on me for this but the crap is gettin old!.. then mongoose is nothing you cant do yourself with a good dynoguy cheaper and better... Im just tired of hearing "its time to talk TIM or Bob or who the fukever" - a person you never actually met, to send you a mail order tune... Sorry folks just venting here
+1. I'm with brandsdafag. I put on a brand new vortech v2, got it tuned, purchased a 3.73, and got the gear installed for $3,700. It would have cost me $3950 for just the SC & tune if I went through Timgay.

Vortech FTW!!! Procharger's sales rely on the fact that their "self contained." Tapping the oil pan was probably the easiest part about putting the SC on. It takes 30 min and your not stuck changing the SC oil with expensive crap that your stuck buying from procharger.

I don't know who said it but why would you think the procharger impeller is more efficient than the vortech impeller??? 8 pounds of boost is 8 pounds of boost no matter how you get there.

But back to the original question, You may get a better deal on a SC kit from your local shop. Shops around my house are selling SC kits installed for 05 - 07 mustangs for around $3,600.
The SC and tune @ MPH is 37xx, the dyno time is INCLUDED in the mongoose price kit. You basically get it for free. The kit is the same price regardless if you get on the dyno or not. The only thing MPH is going to do on the dyno is check your output #s and a/f ratio anyway.. the tune really is that good.

I recall we went thru all this, you bought a kit saying how great a deal it was... and then sold it for a used kit you bought. And your shop gave you a "deal" on your gear install, since they were otherwise gonna charge you 600 bucks for the gear install (rape)

Tim > your tuner

well hmm.....seems like u didnt read everything that i wrote in my previous replies...i said i saw another 02gt with the same boltons plus LTs and he put down 39x to the ground so i doubt its the dyno...plus there are a few people here that have gone to the same place as me and they know that Caleb at fastlane knows his ****. I dunno y they did 14 runs but i still paid 500 for the tune. I know they couldnt burn a chip for me cause the input on my ecm wouldnt read it so they had to down load the tune on a sct xcal2 and use that. Secondly as far as the price goes i got mine from rpmoutlet.com and i paid 3500 for the whole kit except the handheld cause i didnt want it. With the tuner they wanted 3700 so there u go. OH and it did come with everything like svt pump, fr 42# injectors and all the goodies. I believe u paid about 3900 for the non-cooled vortech.
LTs vs the stock manifolds are WORLDS of differnece. You don't see any problem with comparing a stock manifold car making 417 to a LTs car making 390? Thats the entire point. LTs are good for 20-30 WHP on a 8-10 pound car... and your making more than the average full boltons/10psi/intercooled car with just 8 pounds and the restrictive as hell manifolds.... no way.

You can get the kit from RPM outlet for 3700 bucks... plus shipping.. and you can't use their junk tune (rpmoutlets tune is the defintition of "box tune"), so your still stuck with paying 500 for the tune from your local shop . I paid 3905 WITH shipping and the custom tune downloaded on the SCT Xcal2 (and xcal included)

oh i remember now why it took so many dyno runs...the car maxed out the stock maf, then kept maxing out a few different lightning mafs and he ended up putting the diablo MAFia on it and it worked like a charm
I thought you got "all the goodies" with your kit? But you still had the stock MAF? not to mention there is NO way your car is maxing out a 90mm lightning maf. Once again, your tuner does not know WTF he is doing. The lighting maf is good to well over 500 WHP. Hell, I am 99.99 percent I am still going to be using the lightning maf at 550+ WHP.

a/a you get more lag and such also.. the water doesnt just go through the aftercooler though, there is a heat exchanger in the front grill that the water runs through to cool it down and then it goes back through the aftercooler.
There is no "lag" with a properly setup air to air intercooler. The vortech air to water and the paxton air to air are both massive ripoffs... and the procharger cooler isn't that great of a cooler.

The DIY kits on ebay etc allow you do choose your own intercooler sizing, and like I said can be had for around 500 bucks IF you do all the work yourself. Your basically paying 1300+ for a big raditor and some piping/seals if you buy the paxton/vortech/procharger cooler.

Edit: On the topic of who to get your supercharger kit from... well just look at all the nightmare topics about supercharger tuning/install problems etc etc on this site. I have not heard ANYONE that had ANY problem with MPH. I am willing to pay 100-200 bucks more (whats 200 bucks when you just spend close to FOUR GRAND) to have the confidence in my tune/kit that I had with MPH.

Honestly, when it comes to FI on a 2V car, I would NEVER buy anything from anybody but MPH. They simply just know WTF they are doing. NOBODY else could sit there on the phone and answer specific questions like Tim could... nobody else could send me a tune states away and confidently tell me I could drive to the dyno and that unless there was a mechanical problem (like a bum injector/pump from the factory) the tune was gonna be dead on (and forget a lean condition that would destroy the engine).

Simply put, nobody else seemed to know WTF they are talking about. You would think that tuning the car should not be that hard, but apparently it is. I went thru NIGHTMARES dealing with a "local" shop that talked alot of bull**** and could not deilver. I had my car at the shop for over a MONTH trying to get a cam install and tune done... and I got it back with a ****ty tune with the a/f roaming all over, massive loss of torque down low, and idling/driving issues.

NOTHING is more frustrating than spending thousands on parts/install and tune and then getting virtually NOTHING in return, or having your car down for a month and gettnig it back running like **** (or god forbid a hole in the block).

You can choose to go with a local company that has done a handful of installs, pay about the same price, takes 14 runs to get it right while making you buy extra parts like a MAFia, and hope they don't screw it up (or give you a BS dyno number etc) OR you can go with a company that has been around and around and around the block, and knows exactly what they are doing, and can get the tune dead nuts on the very first time with just the parts in the kit.

The choice for me is clear.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:13 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

$3795 + 150 for delivery + $100 for the dyno pulls with A/F readings at your local shop @ MPH. I'll get molested at the gas pump, not an overpriced SC kit.

That's a straigt up Rip off. I got my SC all done for $3,200. That's $900 were talking here, that's not peanuts.

edit: I forgot about the $75 - $100 for the dyno pulls with a/f ratios...
Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

$3795 + 150 for delivery + $100 for the dyno pulls with A/F readings at your local shop @ MPH. I'll get molested at the gas pump, not an overpriced SC kit.

That's a straigt up Rip off. I got my SC all done for $3,200. That's $900 were talking here, that's not peanuts.

edit: I forgot about the $75 - $100 for the dyno pulls with a/f ratios...
And where did you get your kit again? What pump? injectors? maf?

99.99 percent you got your kit used or some sort of deal right? Not from a acual shop/online site?

I definatly remeber you bought the RPM kit or whatever (superchargers online?) and then sold it on the forum....

Simply put, if you are getting a centri kit, even installed yourself, and you manage to get all the parts (including the handheld, MAF, etc etc) for under about 3800 bucks WITH a tune and dyno you are getting a steal. There have to be a hundred sites out there selling the kit for right around 4 grand.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

oh i remember now why it took so many dyno runs...the car maxed out the stock maf, then kept maxing out a few different lightning mafs and he ended up putting the diablo MAFia on it and it worked like a charm

My procharger did the same thing. Had to get the MAFia and he said I'm good up to 500 hp on the factory MAF now.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6
Everything he said
It's like teaching monkeys sometimes isn't it? In one ear out the other.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I'm with you 2000GT4.6 all the way, i just ordered my mongoose from MPH ...anybody saying that there are other companies that include all the parts the mongoose does plus a xcal2 plus a dynotune for cheaper is nuts. MPH all the way.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

well after all was said and done maybe i did pay like 200 more than u but it did come with an intercooler....and no matter how inefficient it is compared to other big brand intercoolers...its a whole lot better than nothing. Either way im gonna swap it out when i do my block and getting a biggass one for very cheap. Im sure Tim knows his **** but like i said before if he didnt touch ur car when he shipped u the tune....its still a mail order tune. And when i ordered my kit i hardly heard of MPH so i didnt go with them. Also the tuner that i went to was supposed to be the best tuner of the year in NC at the time so i dunno. Ther guys that tuned my car built his own 95 saleen using a 302 with a 83mm single turbo and running consistent 8.6x in the quarter, so however u put it im pretty sure he knows a thing or two about cars eh?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:22 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

well after all was said and done maybe i did pay like 200 more than u but it did come with an intercooler....and no matter how inefficient it is compared to other big brand intercoolers...its a whole lot better than nothing. Either way im gonna swap it out when i do my block and getting a biggass one for very cheap. Im sure Tim knows his **** but like i said before if he didnt touch ur car when he shipped u the tune....its still a mail order tune. And when i ordered my kit i hardly heard of MPH so i didnt go with them. Also the tuner that i went to was supposed to be the best tuner of the year in NC at the time so i dunno. Ther guys that tuned my car built his own 95 saleen using a 302 with a 83mm single turbo and running consistent 8.6x in the quarter, so however u put it im pretty sure he knows a thing or two about cars eh?

I'm not saying you got a bad deal by any means, but your simply not making 417 WHP with that setup no matter the tune on a accurate dynojet. It doesn't matter who tuned it or what the blower brand/setup is, the car just cannot make 417 to the tire with just 8 pounds of boost, a midipipe and a catback.

Just forget comparing the MPH tune to a "mail order" one. A "mail order" tune is something like I got from diablo when I first got the car.... it was a generic tune that acutally cost the car power.

I could not make more power by having the car tuned on the dyno than it is now. In fact, I actually have the a/f ratio rich intentionally to keep the WHP number at a safe level. The MPH tune is not what you are thinking... its a tune that is customised for your car, with your modifications. It just happens that MPH has enough experence to know what the car is going to do with said mods etc. They simply have done more tunes on FI 2v cars than almost anyone (maybe anyone?) and know how to tune the car.