MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   K&N air filter worth doing? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/219554-k-and-n-air-filter-worth-doing.html)

Jaybird79 12-18-2006 02:02 AM

K&N air filter worth doing?

Stock airbox, basically stock car too. I know it won't yield any HP or anything, but a touch better throttle response? I heard some rumors that they are TOO high flow and that they actually let debris into the intake? Any confirmation on this? That's the only thing holding me back from getting one.

sitnlopro99gt 12-18-2006 02:09 AM

RE: K&N air filter worth doing?

its not going to be noticable at all I dont think its worth it unless your doing an aftermarket cai..I would wait till then

Colorado_Mustang 12-18-2006 02:11 AM

I had a K&N in my car for a while. I'd send it to you if you want it. I did notice the intake tract was a big dirtier than both paper and the foam filter (Amsoil) that's in there now. I'd recommend a lightly oil foam filter. I tried a nanofiber filter from Amsoil and lost some mileage (I have that one I can send as well).

CoolAid 12-18-2006 02:12 AM

Best thing about the filter is its re-useable qualities. It will cover its own cost after a certain amount of time instead of buying loads of paper filters every time they get dirty. +1 to sitnlo though. I only used mine for 6k miles before I bought a FIPK that came with one anyway, so now I have an extra one collecting dust (pun intended). SO if your going CAI then hold off.

bransdaman78 12-18-2006 02:50 AM

no get the 50.00 cai on ebay... much better investment

SVTBill 12-18-2006 03:11 AM

i just bought a K&N for mine yesterday, all stock, i bought it because my paper filter was black (so i actually did see HP (re)gains :D) but, yeah, i bought it because it's reusable, it is def. less restrictive, if you look at the k and n next to the paper one, the k and n is soo much thinner, but, reusable. if i was you, i would spend the 53 dollars on the k and n

kcp1989 12-18-2006 12:05 PM

there is an ebay cai package that comes with a k&n filter I think its like 80 or ninety bucks. G

freefallin98 12-18-2006 12:14 PM

just got for a mac. They are like maybe 120 bucks. There is nothing wrong with the filter in those. I have had mine for a while and i love it.

MoKo_04GT 12-18-2006 03:46 PM

k & n filter and remove the air silencer = dyno proven hp gains....i think the total gain from both was 7 or 8 hp...not a sh!t load....but for the money...its a good deal, and just about as good as a cai!!

monkeydude3 12-18-2006 04:33 PM

i took off my silencer and i have a WIX paper filter. Works pretty good. I'm awaiting some disposable $ to grab a K&N myself

I put a K&N on my old ford explorer and did nothing else to the intake, and it seemed to run a lil smoother overall, as in the response was a bit better. Not bad for just an air filter swap :) Can't wait to get one for the 'stang