4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New stang or new motor? That is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:12 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default New stang or new motor? That is the question!

So I have been debating lately... I will have the car paid off soon and Im not sure what I want to do... I love my car... but it is just to damn slow! Cars now days comming factory with 400+ HP is no bueno for my car! I can't get the power I want out of my car and keep the daily streetability... I have been thinking of an 03 or 04 Cobra... but do I really want another car payment? Plus the insurance increase with having a Cobra? Not to mention those cars should be garage queens only drivin on occasion! They will always be wanted! They will hold thier value well! But I would just put miles on her like it was nothin! So here are the options I am tangling with...
Sell my car and buy the 03/04 Cobra...
Buy a 03 or the like Mach 1 (same motor as the cobra)
Clean up my car, drop a 03/04 Cobra motor in it, update the supercharger, Etc.
Other mods would include finishing off the Cobra look to look like a 99 Cobra (with a surprise under the hood) Black 18" 03 Cobra rims, new paint job, Cowl induction hood, etc.

What would YOU do?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New stang or new motor? That is the question!

if it were me then id just buy the cobra.....and get rid of that irs.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:15 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

mach 1 is not the same motor... might as well buy a GT if thats the case... cobras are nice but not worth the money IMO, becuase I want to go over 600 rwhp by the time I am done.... building your motor with a nice FI is the fastest and cheapest way to go for the average every day wanna be supra killer
Old 12-18-2006, 03:36 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

As far as I am aware the Mach 1 is the same motor as the 03/04 Cobra minus the Supercharger.... unless I am mistaken? But I was pretty sure of that! The whole reason for gettin rif of my car for the Cobra would be the HP difference and easability of HP gains... to make 700-800+ HP in the standard GT would not be practicall and still run on the street, the Cobra motor would be far better! Anyone else know about the Mach 1 motor? Am I mistaken?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Umm do you have a cobra badge on your gt?? :shakes head: thats not cool[:'(].
Old 12-18-2006, 03:53 AM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

The internals on the mach motor vs. the terminator motor are not the same. The cobra is all forged, machs are not all forged.

I'm pretty sure im wrong, but its something along the lines of the 5spd machs have forged cranks, the auto machs do not have anything forged. Someone correct me if i'm wrong
Old 12-18-2006, 04:22 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: II 98 GT II

The internals on the mach motor vs. the terminator motor are not the same. The cobra is all forged, machs are not all forged.

I'm pretty sure im wrong, but its something along the lines of the 5spd machs have forged cranks, the auto machs do not have anything forged. Someone correct me if i'm wrong
Yeah I also thought that the mach does not have forged rods, just a forged crank. Is the head on the cobra and mach the same??
Old 12-18-2006, 05:00 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kylebgt

Umm do you have a cobra badge on your gt?? :shakes head: thats not cool[:'(].
OK OK.... every time I post a post some one comments on the Cobra emblems on my car! Yes... it is a GT with cobra badges...
The car was already "Cobrafied" when I bought it, emblems, front/rear bumbers, Cobra R wheels (I don't like em'), full Basani Xaust, Eibach pro springs, Etc. I personally would not have gone for the fake Cobra look... except for mabey the front... but it looked so damn good I couldnt resist... well... actually my friend couldnt resist... I bought it off of him. He bought it at the dealership for 12k with around 13k miles on her!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 AM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

5 spd mach and 03/04 Cobras have the same exact motor. Auto machs are a bit different because they lack the forged internals of the cobras.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:06 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Someone who agrees with me! Now where can we find this info for fact?

Quick Reply: New stang or new motor? That is the question!