MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Dispelling Cop Car Myths (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/219710-dispelling-cop-car-myths.html)

pallidamors 12-18-2006 04:35 PM

Dispelling Cop Car Myths

I have seen quite a few threads on this site that pertain to cop cars and more specifically crown victorias. Having owned a 2002 crown vic I speak from personal experience and hope that my knowledge can help in some ways debunk some common myths about cops cars.

Myth 1. Cop cars have supped up motors

Truth 1. Police motors and civillian motors are exactly the same (4.6 liter 225 hp until 2002 then 235-240, and finally 250 in its current form). The only difference between cop cars and standard crown vics in this respect is their computer. The police car has no top speed limiter and a slightly better ecu program that allows it to shift faster.

Myth 2. Cop cars are supercharged.

Truth 2. No (for more info see answer 1)

Myth 3. Police cars have some sort of mystical super chip installed that allows them to reach blazing speeds.

Truth 3. False police cars only have a slighty different ecu (see answer 1.)

Myth 4. Cop cars are really really fast.

Truth 4. False. While it may be able to reach a reasonably high top speed (140 mph +) it runs high 15's at best at the drag strip and is severly underpowered for its weight.

Thankyou for listening to my rant...lol

DreamKing 12-18-2006 04:37 PM

RE: Dispelling Cop Car Myths

Ok, so it's really one myth that you restated 4 different ways... okay, well, who believes that anyway?

Quick Shot xMLx 12-18-2006 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: DreamKing

Ok, so it's really one myth that you restated 4 different ways... okay, well, who believes that anyway?
Actually you'd be surprised. The stories you hear about people bragging about out running the police[&:]

GreyStang 12-18-2006 04:40 PM

Is it the same story for all cop cars in every State/Province?

pallidamors 12-18-2006 04:41 PM

Is it the same story for all cop cars in every State/Province?

I believe so as long as they are using a crown vic.

eventer289 12-18-2006 04:46 PM

I've read things before that state that the cop crown vics are stronger built so that they can last the constant driving that they receive.

Contrary to public perception, there are few outstanding differences between the police interceptor and standard civilian Crown Victorias. By and large, the police interceptor uses the same Ford modular V8 engine and transmission as the civilian models, with the most notable differences being oil and transmission fluid coolers to help the vehicles run for extended lengths of time without overheating. The police interceptor also comes without a speed governor, enabling the vehicle to reach higher top speeds than its civilian counterpart. Another difference is Ford's "severe duty" shock absorbers that offer a stiffer ride than the civilian Crown Victoria. Police Interceptors will have the characters "P71" as the model code in the VIN. Other features that are unique to the Police Interceptor are more aggressive programming, timing and shift points. Police Interceptors also have a heavy duty frame and body mounts, an aluminum drive shaft and usually a limited slip rear differential. All Police Interceptors also come with full stainless steel dual exhausts. Most civilian Crown Victorias come with a single exhaust pipe. Police Interceptors have stiffer springs and have a bit higher stance than civilian models plus come equipped with front and rear stabilizer bars. On 2004 and newer models, P71's have a 200amp alternator and a 78amp battery. Also, most Police Interceptors have a break in the front "bench seat" despite having the shifter on the steering column. This gap between seats is generally filled by a console holding radios, controls for emergency equipment, and often a laptop computer used as a mobile data terminal (MDT).

Ford also offers trunk packages for equipment storage (see below), and as of 2005, has added a fire supression system to the police interceptor.

The bulk of police car modifications, such as installation of emergency lights, sirens, passenger seat dividers and plastic rear bench seats are offered as aftermarket modifications by third parties.

hotrod7687 12-18-2006 04:47 PM

Pallidamors is correct. The police cars arent some kind super crown vic. The only real upgrade to the cars is the charging system. They have to have upgraded alternators and charging system to handle all the added electrical systems.

Greystang, I think Ford only sells one police package. Now if the dept that buys the cars wants to upgrade them, then you could have some more modified cars out there but thats up to the individual dept's.

BoanHed 12-18-2006 04:48 PM

While this may be true for the majority of police "fleet" vehicles. I know of quite a few local officers in NJ and back in FL that have taken a personal interest in the performance of their patrol cars. One in particular that has an unmarked marrauder clone that he likes to use for entraping drag racers around town.

amoosenamedhank 12-18-2006 04:50 PM

The fox body cop cars actually were upgraded vehicles compared to the rest of the cars that rolled off the line. They had thicker steal reenforcements on the floor pans and had factor stainless headers and some more things. That is kinda off topic on the crown vics though.

pallidamors 12-18-2006 04:54 PM

One in particular that has an unmarked marrauder clone that he likes to use for entraping drag racers around town.

Another fine example of police entrapment. God bless America:eek: