4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear Axle Noise...HELP!! (With pics)

Old 12-19-2006, 08:07 PM
PntyDrpr

Default Rear Axle Noise...HELP!! (With pics)

I posted this not too long ago, but didnt seem to get that much of a response. It was kinda of hard describing the noise, even without pics. So I took some pics so you guys can get a visual idea of whats happening and hopefully help. Heres the problem:

There is a Horrible "squeaking", like a crank squeak noise that is coming from the left rear side only. I can hear it when im cruisng at between 10-35 mph, but it gets really loud whenever I make a left turn or a U-turn, whether its in a parking lot or on the street. Its basically sounds like squeaking metal on metal that needs to be oiled or tightened up. So, today I took my tire off and had a look at whats going on. Every bolt was tight, and nothing seemed to be rubbing anywhere. These are pics I took and hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. I dont want to take it to a shop and have them pull some schiet out of there a$$. I look forwrad to the replies.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rear Axle Noise...HELP!! (With pics)

If you can get the entire axle off the ground get the rear wheels in motion and you will be able to pinpoint better where the problem is comming from.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:23 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

blown quad shock. i had this hapen to my race car. you can either replace it or takeboth off and get rid o them completely. but i had a blown quad shock and whenever i wold make atur it would cause a horribl ginding noise.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Pics fixed:
ORIGINAL: PntyDrpr

Old 12-19-2006, 09:23 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Believe it or not, it could just be your e-brake line rubbing against the chassis. You said left side so I'm thinking that. While your car is parked push down on the rear left side to see if it makes that noise. If so, reach under the car in front of the left side rear wheel, there is a bracket holding the e-brake cable and give it a push downward. Hope that helps!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 PM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

Might be all wet here but shoudnt there be no gap in the red circle in pic.
Isnt there suppose to be a thick rubber gromet there it looks like you could shake your shock back in forth.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46815/04A22189FC70451997912543F497C6DA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

is thatone of therivets from the inner pad ?? that brake piston is extendedout a lot .looks like the inner pad is gone .

[IMG]local://upfiles/45178/35CE90561D374B0DADBD496A92B131F6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-19-2006, 10:44 PM
PntyDrpr

ORIGINAL: David_K

blown quad shock. i had this hapen to my race car. you can either replace it or takeboth off and get rid o them completely. but i had a blown quad shock and whenever i wold make atur it would cause a horribl ginding noise.
You seem pretty positive that its a blown quad shock. Im still kinda of a noob when it comes to the intericate stuff, but where is the quad shock, and how much do they run to replace it? Could I do it myself, or do I have to take it somewhere?

blstoff-would a worn brake pad make that much noise when I cruise around? If that were the problem and I were to replace the pad, should I replace both right and left side along with the rotors as well?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:15 AM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

blstoff-would a worn brake pad make that much noise when I cruise around? If that were the problem and I were to replace the pad, should I replace both right and left side along with the rotors as well?
yes , it would make that much noise(metal to metal). check the pads . its hard to tell from the photo , it looks like their is no pad but your rotor looks smooth sothat's probably not the problem. if there's no pad left the piston will eventually blow out of the caliper . I would get the rotors turned when you get new pads .
Old 12-20-2006, 02:31 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PntyDrpr

You seem pretty positive that its a blown quad shock. Im still kinda of a noob when it comes to the intericate stuff, but where is the quad shock, and how much do they run to replace it? Could I do it myself, or do I have to take it somewhere?

Red arrow points to the quad shock. There is one on each side, rear only... they are there to help prevent wheelhop. I'd imagine you can replace it yourself with out issue. I'm taking a TOTALLY wild stab in the dark at the price of a newone, but $80?

[IMG]local://upfiles/20167/20A733FB219E4C48A9942C237E1CF5C0.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Axle Noise...HELP!! (With pics)