4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

newb question (plz dont flame)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:00 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default newb question (plz dont flame)

So, I really wan't to buy that o/r x-pipe from my friend (bassani) but, I don't wan't my cab to smell like gas and I don't want to have to worry about extreme noise, because I'm auto so it would be hard to keep it quiet next to a cop. Also, I don't wan't to pay 4k in fines if they catch me without any cats. My question is, if I buy the pipe, can I pay some place to put just two cats on it. If I can, will it still be reasonably loud? Will my cab smell like gas? Is this the stupidest idea ever? Will it be expencive. Will I get the best of both worlds (no gas smell, good sound level) or will I get the worst of both worlds (bad gas smell, horrible sound). Also, if I buy it and keep it catless how much will the mufflers quiet it down? How much would it be to put two cats on it? Sorry for the huge run of n00b questions but, please help and try to keep the flaming to a minimum, thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:06 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: newb question (plz dont flame)

You can get those "modualar" SLP mid pipes that switch out between cats and no cats with simple bolts if you wanna go that route.... As far as noise, an Auto should always shift to the higher gears anyway so you shouldn't be as noisy as us Manuals. Plus I've NEVER had any cops pull me over because of my O/R pipes... But then again I live in Texas so that may be it. You'll get a smell but you get used to it quick. Unless you pull up in a tunnel or garage.... Then you'll really be smelling it!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:07 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Most places won't mess with adding cats, and if they do, it'll probably be a butcher job (I've had 2 cats put on by different shops and they both sucked).

You won't get any gas smell inside the cabin from a midpipe.

Your best bet will be to get a catted pipe to start with. You'll save some headaches in the long run with the inspecion folks.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:08 AM
lVlustang
3rd Gear Member

If I am at a stop it can get kinda stinky.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:09 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

You can get those "modualar" SLP mid pipes that switch out between cats and no cats with simple bolts if you wanna go that route.... As far as noise, an Auto should always shift to the higher gears anyway so you shouldn't be as noisy as us Manuals. Plus I've NEVER had any cops pull me over because of my O/R pipes... But then again I live in Texas so that may be it. You'll get a smell but you get used to it quick. Unless you pull up in a tunnel or garage.... Then you'll really be smelling it!
i live in texas too but, i live in a popular city so theres tons of cops, the reason im asking about adding the cats to this pipe is because i can get it for 150, the bassani o/r x-pipe is supposed to be like 350, so thats a good deal, if i can do it all for about 500 or less (dont think i can) then ill do it, but if i cant then ill just get LM2s but, this way i would have the most unique sounding mustang EVER
Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 AM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

I don't think that the O/R pipes make the cabin stinky. Its just that the exhaust itself is much worse w/o cats, and if you have your windows open and that happens to drift forward when you are at a stop/in a garage/downwind from the rear of your car you are going to be smellin' it. You'll learn to love it though.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Shouldn't smell like fuel inside the cabin... you'll notice the exhaust will smell much more deadly is all.

Yes you can have a shop weld cats in, but the reason the catted pipes cost so much more than the off-road pipes is because the cats contain rare metals (platinum, among others)... the converters themselves are the most expensive part. I wouldn't recommend this, so I can't give you a price estimate.

If you really want to have the cats, find yourself a catted pipe already, it'll be cheaper in the end.

What are the emissions testing rules in Texas? Is there an inspection? If not, just get the off-road pipe and be done with it. If you ever get pulled over, TURN THE CAR OFF! It's easy to tell when a car doesn't have cats.

The auto shifts a lot lower than most manuals, at least at the lower speeds... when riding in bharsen's 04 GT with the 4.10s, it shifted out of first at 1600 rpm or so under normal throttle, when I take mine to like 2000 or so otherwise I'll bog it down... The auto should be quieter. Noise shouldn't be a problem unless you go with SLP or something for your cat-back.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:47 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

I pulled my car up to a random inspection place and pulled her in..... The Guy looked under my car..... Coughed up a lung from the fumes.... and passed me! lol..... It all depends on where you go.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:51 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

+1
find the right shop... also I have "high flow cats" welded in - they are a different color of steel piping - wink wink nudge nudge