4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

3.8 to 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 PM
white99stang

Default 3.8 to 4.6

Ok, just to make it clear befor anyone makes a post. I AM NOT asking for any opinions here on what to do, ex: "buy a v8, not worth it, blah blah", so please do not waste my time with your thoughts. I currently have all the parts in hand for the swap. What this post is for is if any1 of you have already done the swap and can give me a wright up of what problems to expect and any info which will make it easier and faster. Also any pics of your car while doing the swap would be helpful to. By the way for those that will ask these are all the parts I currently have with me......(for those who did the swap if there was anything you had to cxhange that i dont have PLEASE let me kno).

02 4.6l v8 with 5 speed trans with 36k miles on both(complete with all front acc., wiring harness, exhaust manifold, and ecu), 8.8 " rear end, 150 mph speedo, rear bumper,--all these parts were pulled from the same wrecked gt for $2000

Also have purchased- slp lm2 cb, slp o/r x pipe, bullit suspension package, 3.73 rear end gears, and an x-cal tuner. I plan to start the swap this sat.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.8 to 4.6

Shoulda just bought a Cobra.[sm=icon_sneaky.gif]

Sounds like you have what you need. You did get the engine and tranny mounts, right?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM
white99stang

yeah got all the mounts forget to mention that little fact, and nah to the cobra, i spent 8k on my car when i got it and i got all these parts for 3.5k, plus i get a lighter better suspension then a stock gt, and the engine only has 36k miles
Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white99stang

yeah got all the mounts forget to mention that little fact, and nah to the cobra, i spent 8k on my car when i got it and i got all these parts for 3.5k, plus i get a lighter better suspension then a stock gt, and the engine only has 36k miles
Yes, but you still have the weak 7.5 inch rear end. If you build the 4.6 up you are going to have to upgrade to an 8.8 rearend. Do you still have access to the wrecked GT?You should see if you can get the rear end too. You are going to need it if you plan on making some real power with the 4.6.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

He got that.
ORIGINAL: eventer289

Yes, but you still have the weak 7.5 inch rear end. If you build the 4.6 up you are going to have to upgrade to an 8.8 rearend. Do you still have access to the wrecked GT?You should see if you can get the rear end too. You are going to need it if you plan on making some real power with the 4.6.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:28 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

He got that.
ORIGINAL: eventer289

[:@]My bad. Thats what I get for only reading the top part.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

There is a 3.8 mustang forum...i bet you could find a person or 2 that has done this swap and can give you some pointers/advice. Google it...
Old 12-20-2006, 09:49 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Ok, just to make it clear befor anyone makes a post. I AM NOT asking for any opinions here on what to do, ex: "buy a v8, not worth it, blah blah", so please do not waste my time with your thoughts. I currently have all the parts in hand for the swap. What this post is for is if any1 of you have already done the swap and can give me a wright up of what problems to expect and any info which will make it easier and faster. Also any pics of your car while doing the swap would be helpful to. By the way for those that will ask these are all the parts I currently have with me......(for those who did the swap if there was anything you had to cxhange that i dont have PLEASE let me kno).

02 4.6l v8 with 5 speed trans with 36k miles on both(complete with all front acc., wiring harness, exhaust manifold, and ecu), 8.8 " rear end, 150 mph speedo, rear bumper,--all these parts were pulled from the same wrecked gt for $2000

Also have purchased- slp lm2 cb, slp o/r x pipe, bullit suspension package, 3.73 rear end gears, and an x-cal tuner. I plan to start the swap this sat.

don't you think you counted your chickens before they hatched?
Don't you think you counted your chickens before they hatched?

Old 12-20-2006, 11:18 PM
white99stang

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

Don't you think you counted your chickens before they hatched?

No, because it's going to work, and i needed these parts eventually to some degree so might as well get the ones im going to want later down the road anyways
Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

if i were you i would put long tubes on while doing the swap, it would be a pain to try to do it later.

Quick Reply: 3.8 to 4.6