4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW Shifter Install (Whirling Noise) Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Default MGW Shifter Install (Whirling Noise) Help

I just installed MGW short throw shifter to my 2003 GT 5 sp. (3650) without the stops and I noticed 2nd gear once I let off gas I have a small whirling noise that I never had with stock stick. It only does this in 2nd but not during exceleration or in any other gear.

I am using stock leather boot and I did not rip my interboot. Is this common? Is my trans messed up? I did not notice any problem before. I did not change tranny fluid by car only has 37K on it.

I like the short throw, but also in gear new shifter seems to have much more play when in gear is this common?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:03 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Shifter Install (Whirling Noise) Help

If it's not very loud, then yes, it's common. All quality aftermarker shifters have more noise than stocks shifters becuase they are more solid and therefore transfer more vibration up the handle into the car. If it's a big enough deal you can try to make it better with a gasket, though I assume you already used the sealant they provide in the tube, and that's really just as good. It's just something you'll get used to. You have two options: 1) Turn up the stereo, 2) Get exhaust.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

yeah I used sealant; I did not have radio on as I was test driving it. Next mod is either gears or borla exhaust and the exhaust should drown out noise.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 03:44 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

did you put both of the stock rubber condoms back on? - they help a little - but other than that - yes the new shifters trasmit a bit more noise[&:]
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

I have the same thing on my Roush ss but only in 5th.
I took it off and reinstalled it but the same noise. I then placed a bit of thickpink fiberglass insulation down around the shifter to soak up some noise and it did make it a bit quieter.
I also read that you can get a 4-5 inch (thick)piece of foam (the yellowish soft kind and not the white rigid kind). Youtake off the shifter bezel andcut thefoam to fit insde the opening.
You cut a small hole in the centerto allow the foam to slide over the shifter arm and push the foam down and snug it in place.

I saw this on another forum and the guy said it worked pretty well.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:13 PM
YouGiveMeRash!!!
2nd Gear Member

My MGW makes that whirring noise in 5th. One of my rubber boots (the inner one) ripped so I dont have it on properly, so I guess that makes the noise more pronounced.