4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WHAT MUSTANG TO BUY!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:00 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT MUSTANG TO BUY!! HELP

ORIGINAL: shadowfoxx

hi, im new to the forum. i would like to know everyones input on what mustang to buy and why or why not. i like the 96-04 models the best and i would like possiable a cobra. would like to spend under $20g if possiable put am open to more with the right things done to the car. i have been into cars and motorcycles my hole life. i drive a work truck know and the mustang will not be a daily driver. i plain on doing everything too it if not already done when i get it to save me cash and time. the wife drives a charger r/t withmodsand we love it but i need something for my self on the weekends. let me know and thanks in advance.
well here is my 2 cents... if you are looking for a cobra then yes.. the 03-04 cobras are the way to to go.. they have some extra goodies that previous models don't have and are called "terminators" for a reason.. but for less money you can get a 99-04 GT in good condition then supercharge it to more hp then the stock cobra's. So basically I would say it depends on what you are really looking for. Personally I would suggest trying to find an '02-'03 or so GT in good condition then slapping on a supercharger but.. it's up to you..
I don't agree with you on that because the 2V motors can only handle so much. I would say if you don't want to spend the money on the cobra get a decent mach 1 and supercharge it. It is quite similar to the 03-04 cobra motor with just slight differences. But i have seen people strap on twin turbos to a stock block 03-04 cobra and go 600+rwhp.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 PM
APEX 1

great i really want a cobra but like i said open for your opitions. milwakuee, im in kensoha. what hp are you getting out of thatsupercharger gt. i would like to be in the 550 range. total.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: APEX 1

great i really want a cobra but like i said open for your opitions. milwakuee, im in kensoha. what hp are you getting out of thatsupercharger gt. i would like to be in the 550 range. total.
550 might be pushing a stock GT motor but if you are going to forge the bottom end and build it up it might hold. Wow kenosha nice. I accually used to have a 04 cobra but i sold it because i needed some money. So I got this 96 built cobra instead. I also got a 03 focus SVT for it which i am selling.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:25 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

I don't agree with you on that because the 2V motors can only handle so much. I would say if you don't want to spend the money on the cobra get a decent mach 1 and supercharge it. It is quite similar to the 03-04 cobra motor with just slight differences. But i have seen people strap on twin turbos to a stock block 03-04 cobra and go 600+rwhp.
well, on a stock block you can only get about 400-450 before it becomes unreliable and you run the risk of something breaking. .. but seeing as how the stock cobra has 390 you can easily supercharge your gt to 400-425 for far less then the cost of a cobra.. then later on once you have time to save some more money you can get forged internals to handle bigger numbers.. all still probably totaling less then you would pay for that stock cobra.. for only 390hp ... unless you are against F/I and strickly looking looking for an n/a car I don't really see that big of a deal with the cobra's.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:26 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

Default RE: WHAT MUSTAGE TO BUY!! HELP

ORIGINAL: APEX 1

+1 100%?? do you mean the year??
+1 means he also agrees... 100% means he agrees fully... it's some message board slang... you'll get used to it.... if you have 20 grand, you can either save up for an 03-04 cobra... buy a 99-04 GT and take what's left over and mod it... it all depends on what you want to do.... IMHO (in my humble/honest opinion) I feel that you should get a 99-02 GT for about 12-14 grand... then take whats left over and supercharge it and put on some other bolt-on modifications... cobras are great and all, but they'll kill you on insuarance!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:28 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

well, on a stock block you can only get about 400-450 before it becomes unreliable and you run the risk of something breaking. .. but seeing as how the stock cobra has 390 you can easily supercharge your gt to 400-425 for far less then the cost of a cobra.. then later on once you have time to save some more money you can get forged internals to handle more.. still probably totaling less then you would pay for that stock cobra..
the 03-04 cobra comes stock with forged internals. Without doing anything but a blower swap to a whipple or KB you can get 550rwhp in a 03-04 without any worries of breaking anything except for the rearend. Thats the only down fall if your into the straight line is the IRS. 03-04 cobras can handle up to 600rwhp without having to do anything at all to the motor.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:30 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

the 03-04 cobra comes stock with forged internals. Without doing anything but a blower swap to a whipple or KB you can get 550rwhp in a 03-04 without any worries of breaking anything except for the rearend. Thats the only down fall if your into the straight line is the IRS. 03-04 cobras can handle up to 600rwhp without having to do anything at all to the motor.
yeah.. but cost for cost you can get the same hp numbers out of a worked up GT for less.. thus more bang for the buck.. not to mention that you would not have to come up with all the money at one time.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:01 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

yeah.. but cost for cost you can most likely get the same hp numbers out of a worked up GT for less.. thus more bang for the buck.. not to mention that you would not have to come up with all the money at one time.
thats why i traded my 04 cobra because i just don't have the time nor the money to build it up. So thats why i got the next best thing built for me.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:11 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

thats why i traded my 04 cobra because i just don't have the time nor the money to build it up. So thats why i got the next best thing built for me.
lol.. yeah.. it's all good.. .. I've just never really been much about paying for a name (i.e. "cobra").. especially whenyou can beat that name for less $$.. I do, however, admire the fact (based on your sig) that you stepped back a few years and built one up..
Old 12-21-2006, 03:12 PM
MBentz
2nd Gear Member

My vote goes for an 01+ GT, 01 Cobra or Mach 1 and having mod money left over.

Quick Reply: WHAT MUSTANG TO BUY!! HELP