4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine Oil and Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:33 PM
DSGSTANZG
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Oil and Transmission Fluid

ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

OK...Why?? Been using Fram for along time. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Just need to know whats so bad about them...
I am never using another Fram filter. A few months ago I did an oil change and the gasket from the old Fram Filter stuck to the block. When I added the new filter, the "double gaskets" made one hell of an oil leak. I still have stains down my street where all of my oil sprayed out before I hit the end of the block ( not to mention my driveway). I have also changed the air filter on my expedition and found that the rubber cap on the end un-glued from the paper filter. I was basically driving around without filtering the air for who knows how long.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Stuck to the block. Did you tighten too much? Use a filter wrench or hand tighten? If you tighten too much you can damage the gasket. Also, did you coat the gasket with oil before applying the filter? I am not a big promoter of Fram. The selections at the local Pep Boys or Walmart are not that great. I am just saying I have been using Fram for about 10 years at least and never had a problem. Just curious as to whats wrong with them. You might have had an isolated incident. That never happened to me. I'd be more concerned about the filtration quality than anything else.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Lizardbreath
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

OK...Why?? Been using Fram for along time. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Just need to know whats so bad about them...
This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.
The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a "2Y". There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve
Old 12-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this site:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...html#fram-ph8a

Guess I need to change my brand.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:00 PM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

How much should all this cost and how many quarts of oil do I need to put in?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Check your owners manual. I have a 2002 GT and mine takes 6 quarts with a filter change. Cost depends on what kind ofoil you get. I prefer a synthetic but since I change mine every 2500-3K, I don't prefer to pay $6.00 a quart for Mobil 1. I get Pennzoil synthetic which is $4.00 a quart, but thats me.