4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Is there a way to wet sand our headlights?

Old 12-22-2006, 07:27 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Default Is there a way to wet sand our headlights?

Is there a way to wet sand our headlights if they are getting that hazzy look? I've seen them do this to plexiglass windshields by working their way up in the grit and then finishing off with a liquid sander.

I don't have the money to replace my headlights, but I would like to clean them up. Does anybodyknow how to do this or know of any sites that describe this process?
Old 12-22-2006, 07:30 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is there a way to wet sand our headlights?

Sure, type "mustang wet sand headlights" into google (without the quotes) and you will get quite a few results regarding the method, some with full write ups and pictures.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 PM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

I just used that headlight refinsihing kit you can grab at walmart on my 92 protegehere recently .. it worked very well IMO however the headlights are 15 years old so anything would look better... I don't know about sanding anything plastic ..
Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

I had VERY good results with some Brasso, a rag and a lot of elbow grease. They are not perfect, but they look 1000x better than they did.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:33 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Buff it with rubbing compund then go over it with polishing compound. Itll take the haze right out.
-P.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:41 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Buff it with rubbing compund then go over it with polishing compound. Itll take the haze right out.
-P.
I tried that. They are too bad for rubbing compound.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:03 PM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

I got a kit from Murrys Auto store.
It had sand paper and instructions worked well.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:19 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Try toothpaste.

Polishing is very simple and works the same on most surfaces, glass, paint, plastic. It's just a matter of how hard each surface is to know what level to start out. Plastic is very soft, so if you get something too gritty, you'll just add deeper scratches and it will take even longer to get it polished up. When you wash your car for example, if you start with a paint cleaner, that's the most abrasive, it gets out small scratches and swirls, and cleans oxidation off the surface. Then you go to a polish which gets the very fine scratches out that are left behind from the paint cleaner, then you can even use a glaze that will get out the scratches that are so small you can't even see them left from the polish, and get the surface damn near perfect. Top it with a wax to protect.

Same process works with plastic, so start with something that's not too abrasive and work a small spot for a little while, if you don't get enough result, move to something more abrasive, just don't go too far. The more steps you take, and the longer you take on each step, the better the final product will be. Just remember to do each step completely because if you go back to the paint example, while the glaze works on the same principle of the paint cleaner, a scratch that paint cleaner would get out, you'd have to spend probably 10 times longer to get out with glaze becuase it's not abrasive enough.

That's just my input that maybe helps or not. You may know well how polishing works, but maybe it will help someone else.

Edit: Also, the point of explaining this is to point out that if you know how it works and what you're doing, a kit is actually a waste of money. If you need enough power becuase they are really bad, like one of mine is (and I need to do this myself on it until I have a chance to buy new headlights), then all you need to do is go get the right grit sandpaper from the local hardware store and get to work. No need to pay for a kit which is just going to sell you sandpaper as well.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:47 PM
olesch
1st Gear Member

I tried it out.

Started at first with a 700 grit then 1500 and then 2000. Afterwards I used some rubbing compound and for last polish.

I must really say that the headlights look like new now!

For really good results the polish and rubbing should be applied with a machine!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:39 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

I bought some 1000 grit sand paper to start with, then I have 1500 and 2000 to finish it off. I hope it all goes well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there a way to wet sand our headlights?