4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

looking at buying a mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 03:25 PM
kscubb

Default looking at buying a mach 1

i have found a 03 mach 1 for sale around the corner from me. it seems in good shape. but there are a few things. i'm kinda new to thge whole mustang thing and i have a few questions. the car seems pretty stock, no intake or exhaust. it does have sub-frame connectors and i think that its a steeda shifter. i test drove the car and it seems to run fine. the only thing is that it will grind second gear. I'm pretty sure its not just the way i drive. the clutch seems fine, no slipping or anything. but it kinda worries me. is it just an adjustment that needs to be made or am i looking at possibly replacing the gear box? any help would be appreciated. the car only has nine thousand miles on it , so i am really interested in it

Old 12-23-2006, 03:30 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: looking at buying a mach 1

If it has a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, then be aware that that shifter is pretty notchy, so if you're new to it you might want to make sure you have it all the way as far as it can go in gear. It is possible that the shift stops are in too far and that's causing it to grind, if that's the case, they can be backed out a little, but I'd be worry about damage that's been caused so far with the owner driving it like that. If you are sure that it's not your driving, ask him and see what he says about it. If he says it's been there since he installed the shifter, then he probably screwed up the shift stops. Ask how long the shifter has been on there and if it's been a while, meaning he's been griding for a while, then I'd be a little worried about buying that car.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:31 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

Sounds to me like it might be a problem with the syncros in the transmission, but I wouldnt expect a problem like that with so few miles unless the guy just beat the crap out of it. Tell him you want to take it for a test drive and go to a trans. shop for advice. I wouldnt think someone could screw up a shifter install enough to make it do that but that could be another possible.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:32 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

yeah, pass it up if it already has the 2nd gear grind.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:32 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

hmm... grinding 2nd gear.... think about it. what gear do you slam most. This trans may have been beat on. I found this out after i bought my GT... many nights later my trans has new synchros...

Be careful, what does he want for it?
Old 12-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

There are a few people over at mach1registry.org who have the same problem. Its an issue with the synchros. Talk him down on the price because of it, and take that money you would have spent and grab a TKO500 trans.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

There are a few people over at mach1registry.org who have the same problem. Its an issue with the synchros. Talk him down on the price because of it, and take that money you would have spent and grab a TKO500 trans.
Good idea.
Doesn't matter what you do with the extra money, the main thing is to knock off some $$$ because of the problem(whatever it is).
Either that, or say you want it fixed before you buy it.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

That sucks. The synchro's are toast and it's only a matter of time before the rest go.

Does he have an extended warranty at all?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:04 PM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

Maybe not a problem with all, but a friend of mine had a 03 Mach 1 and the driver side head was bad from factory, he had to take to the shop 2 or 3 times to get it replaced, finally they put a new motor in.thank god it was under warranty.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:22 PM
kscubb

thanks for the help guys. i think i'm gonna pass this one up. to many worries. plus i already found another that hasn't been beat. I'll be on here alot more thanks!

Quick Reply: looking at buying a mach 1