4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OMG!! MY ENGINE JUST SHUT OFF!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OMG!! MY ENGINE JUST SHUT OFF!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a shop, preferably Ford Dealership and get them to pull the code.
Whatever it is, your car started again right away so it can't be that serious.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:04 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

why are you going to buy a new IAC? you were moving at the time the engine shut off.. the iac is not at fault....
Old 12-23-2006, 08:10 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

why are you going to buy a new IAC? you were moving at the time the engine shut off.. the iac is not at fault....
It doesnt matter if he was moving or not, he put is foot on the clutch and off the gas so the engine was idling. I wouldnt go out and buy a IAC just clean it with carb cleaner, and also clean your MAF I have been told (with brake cleaner since its mostly alcohol but dont qoute me on that, a ford tech told me that when he cleaned mine way back when).... Good luck
Old 12-23-2006, 08:23 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

ORIGINAL: rbstang

It doesnt matter if he was moving or not, he put is foot on the clutch and off the gas so the engine was idling. I wouldnt go out and buy a IAC just clean it with carb cleaner, and also clean your MAF I have been told (with brake cleaner since its mostly alcohol but dont qoute me on that, a ford tech told me that when he cleaned mine way back when).... Good luck
Personally I doubt its the IAC.. thats just me.
CEL comes on when the car dies.. Turn your car to accessory mode the check engine light comes on then when you start it it goes away unless theres a problem..
Old 12-23-2006, 09:13 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

from my experience it may or could be ur fuel pump that happen to me the same thing and i took it in n they scaned it and it was the fuel pump so i had it replaced and they change the filter too. hopefully it is not that for u cuz it was 900 n something to haveit replace with parts and labor warranty covered 400 i paid the rest.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

A similar thing happened to me.

I was juts merging onto the interstate and I had just put it into 5th gear. About 10 seconds later my rpms dropped to 0 and so did my speedometer.

Everything just shut off, and the engine would not start when I tried it so I needed a jump to get me going.

My check engine light came on. I realized later that I had hit the key with my knee and it hit it a little out of position. [8D]

Not sure maybe you did the same thing, i dont know. Good Luck though.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:24 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

sounds like an iac to me, even cleaning them is just a temprary fix.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:26 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

I dont want to jinx myself but it seems to be running smoother now. It has never had a problem accelerating or while in gear. I had my car in nuetral with my foot off the clutch that it supposidly when the IAC takes over. If this doesnt solve it I am gonna try the fuel filter then the fuel pump. Hopefully this fixed it. Wish me luck!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:35 PM
NORTON98
2nd Gear Member

Can you get a IAC at a autozone or napa auto parts or do you have to go to a ford dealership?

Mike
Old 12-23-2006, 09:38 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NORTON98

Can you get a IAC at a autozone or napa auto parts or do you have to go to a ford dealership?

Mike
yeah for like $50...Last i heard Ford is charging $100...i paid $35 from Ford in 99 but since they started failing on everyones car the demand went up and so did the price....justlike the intakes and chin spoilers. Ford makes a faulty part then raises the price on you.

Quick Reply: OMG!! MY ENGINE JUST SHUT OFF!!!!!!!!!!