4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
View Poll Results: A poll
1988 Mustang GT
15.00%
2000 Mustang GT
85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

88GT vs 2kGT

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Stinger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 88GT vs 2kGT

Well first off im no kid there dustin.. Actually far from it. Show me 1 stock 99+ mustang on street tires and all stock running 13s.Better yet show me your time slip ,i have mine. Dustin im sorry you have spoke to guys who have lied about there 5.0s just as most 99+ guys talk so much crap.Im in a mustang club we have 03 /04 Cobras and 30 other 99+ GTs . And they are mostly my friends, but sad truth of it is when my LX 5.0 Coupe was stock it was faster then any of those 4.6s. So you can say your car or you buddy car is different who knows maybe it is. Also i have all time slips and videos of every race with both my mustangs and i have video of me beating a 03 GT by 5 cars not just 1 time either. Most guys problems here is you have never actually raced there own mustangs other then on the street with some inexpereinced kid drivers or someone who never cared to learn to drive. And to be honest most pain in the butts on this forum are 4.6s guys , Not 5.0 guys or even chevy guys. Cause when you say you put this poll here for guys like me,sounded like you was trying to start some trouble between mustang owners. And Dan if your car could beat even my slow vert with pop tires i would kiss ur boots. If your car could beat my STOCK GT with better then 3 /10 ths i would be suprised, i see your mods and i know 4.6 mustangs very well, so please dont be a jerk with comments like that. And to 2000gt4.6 i know what your saying there are alot of claming 12s but i have seen five times more fox mustangs running way better then 12s then any 4.6s. And im not saying the old 5.0 is a better anything to a 4.6 just a better responder and cheaper to get 12s and better.Most 4.6 guys need a power adder to hit 12s.So since i have made a few mad tell me if any of you have ran 12s? Or show me a MPH of ur car in 1/4 that shows you can.Also 2000GT if you wanna see timeslips just let me know i have pictures of my engines and cars and i do have video and if you still dont beleive me just come to the NMRA finals ill be there1st week of Oct, my mustang club is running the NMRA finals this year in Bowling Green KY and i would love to see any of you guy make it.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:25 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

The 2K GT will no doubt beat it...even w/o the mods.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:03 AM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

the 2kGT would win, no question!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:40 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stinger

Well first off im no kid there dustin.. Actually far from it. Show me 1 stock 99+ mustang on street tires and all stock running 13s.Better yet show me your time slip ,i have mine. Dustin im sorry you have spoke to guys who have lied about there 5.0s just as most 99+ guys talk so much crap.Im in a mustang club we have 03 /04 Cobras and 30 other 99+ GTs . And they are mostly my friends, but sad truth of it is when my LX 5.0 Coupe was stock it was faster then any of those 4.6s. So you can say your car or you buddy car is different who knows maybe it is. Also i have all time slips and videos of every race with both my mustangs and i have video of me beating a 03 GT by 5 cars not just 1 time either. Most guys problems here is you have never actually raced there own mustangs other then on the street with some inexpereinced kid drivers or someone who never cared to learn to drive. And to be honest most pain in the butts on this forum are 4.6s guys , Not 5.0 guys or even chevy guys. Cause when you say you put this poll here for guys like me,sounded like you was trying to start some trouble between mustang owners. And Dan if your car could beat even my slow vert with pop tires i would kiss ur boots. If your car could beat my STOCK GT with better then 3 /10 ths i would be suprised, i see your mods and i know 4.6 mustangs very well, so please dont be a jerk with comments like that. And to 2000gt4.6 i know what your saying there are alot of claming 12s but i have seen five times more fox mustangs running way better then 12s then any 4.6s. And im not saying the old 5.0 is a better anything to a 4.6 just a better responder and cheaper to get 12s and better.Most 4.6 guys need a power adder to hit 12s.So since i have made a few mad tell me if any of you have ran 12s? Or show me a MPH of ur car in 1/4 that shows you can.Also 2000GT if you wanna see timeslips just let me know i have pictures of my engines and cars and i do have video and if you still dont beleive me just come to the NMRA finals ill be there1st week of Oct, my mustang club is running the NMRA finals this year in Bowling Green KY and i would love to see any of you guy make it.

Stinger, my home track (although 120 mile away) is Bowling Green. All my 1/4 times have been ran there. What you say about the "driver" is right on. My car has ran 12's N/A at BG and I know it's no easy task. Also after first getting the car the best it would do with a new driver (me) was 9.14@77mph at the local 1/8th. So as you can see it's no "factory freak". After learning to drive a bit and adding a O/R X pipe and mufflers and K&N the car when 13.45@102.98 at Bowling Green ...... that's on the stock Goodyear's and 3.27 gears. I'll be in BG for the finals so look me up. I may be running the brackets but for sure I'll be hanging around the Modular Depot pit ..... just ask for JayC

Jay
Old 09-16-2004, 12:28 PM
LOVEMY88GT
I ♥ Acer

I tested a 2004 Mach 1 and i was not impressed at all. It was a dog in my concernes. I think the 4.6 is with someone with money and the 5.0 is for someone that can have a damn ****ing fast car for cheap. We are all Mustangs here so we need to all get along. I too have raced 2k and up GT's and have beaten them but you are never the fastest car. Who cares who is the fastest there is always the saying oh well an 88 GT i could get a nice one for 6 grand and do everything to it and blow the doors off of the 2kgt. But it is all about owning the car. Have fun with what you have. For the money the 5.0 i think is better but that 2kgt is like new. Everything works and ahh it is nice when everything works. I have an 88 and i have problems all the time. But that is what you get when you go with a car of its age. I am going on 18 and it is the car that i could get for my kind of money income. Love what you have and stop fighting theres no reason. Just sit down and smoke a blunt. hahah

~Nick
Old 09-16-2004, 01:07 PM
GiddiupStang
1st Gear Member

Yeah, let's all just get along!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:14 PM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

yea i'm soon to be 18 as well (2 months) and i think black or white 88gt's look fine and 5.0's sound incredible. but i like the way the bodystyle is on the 99-04 stangs. i hade a 97 before but didn't like the body.[:'(]
Old 09-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Stinger - the track is called Lebanon Valley Speedway, in NY.

Come take a trip out, my friends brand new 100% stock 04 GT 5 speed, dropped tire pressures and broke the 14.0 barrier absolutely bone stock, on 2 seperate runs.

Fox Body's had a hard time handling L98 3rdgen Camaro's. In stock form, even lightly modified form, unless you are running a LX with a few pounds shed, 2 equal drivers - the 99+ is going to win.

Lovemy88GT: That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. If a Mach1 felt like a dog, your car is a turd compared to it. Even with all your mods you aren't going to run with a stock Mach 1. Thanks for the laugh
Old 09-16-2004, 03:57 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stinger

No doubt with cams and a good tune a 99+ is capable (with D/Rs and good traction) of running a high 12. Add the new P-51 intake manifold and some bottom end work and you are easily mid 12s.

I have yet to see a all bolt only 5.0 go 12s without slicks. In fact, almost every single 5.0 I have seen running 12s was using nitrous. Either that or some change in the heads/intake/cam department.

I had just about this same exact discussion the other day with a friend at work. Lets look at the facts:

The 5.0 had :

Worse tires (higher profile and not as wide by far)
Inferior gear ratio (at BEST 3.08 vs 3.27)
Less horsepower
Inferior suspension

The only advantage was wieght. And espcially in the case we are talking here, the GT did not wiegh much less than a 99+.

You say you have beaten plenty of 99+, and have a video of beating one by 5 cars. Congradulations, what are your mods though? I have embarrased plently of 5.0 cars (and as a matter of fact have yet to lose to one). What does this mean? Nothing, I had more modifications than them.

Dead stock vs dead stock, a 4.6 is going to beat a 5.0 hands down every time. Im not saying that a notchback LX is going to be disapearing in the rearview, but you arnt going to be ahead when you cross the 1/4 time (drivers being equal).
Old 09-16-2004, 05:15 PM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Lovemy88GT: That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. If a Mach1 felt like a dog, your car is a turd compared to it. Even with all your mods you aren't going to run with a stock Mach 1. Thanks for the laugh
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: 88GT vs 2kGT