4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Yet another boost question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

Default Yet another boost question

Well, I have read many threads about Superchargers and turbos and I get tired of reading all the fighting about the two and in the posts. I know the turbo will be more expensive and my budget isn't too big. I want to keep my Stang a daily driver, so I dont want massive amounts of HP. I read that for a turbo to be efficient I would need a built engine. What all is involved in that? (Sorry, not the most mechanically inclined). I just want to be a little quicker and have some power to play with. I was looking at the Hellion turbo, the KB 2.1, and the Mongoose from MPH. Which would be my best bet? And lets try not to argue =).
Old 12-24-2006, 06:17 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Yet another boost question

IMO for Daily driving... Either Mongoose or Turbo.. cuz they boost around 3000ish where as the KB 2.1 hits boost at like 1800-2000 its pretty much instant.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:19 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

[/align]
[blockquote]

if your looking for a DD, dont waste your time on a turbo or even a KB. too expensive and unless your looking for big power then dont waste your time. stick with a vortech or procharger. i dont have a blower buti have friends that do. i planned on gettin a KB for the longest time but by the time that you get a KB you could already have the vortech sytem and be ready to go. and the centri will be a little better on gas. just my .02

[/align][/blockquote]
Old 12-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

I still want a nice power addage. No more than 500 hp though i would say. I can understand the turbo since they are meant for some big power output, but why not the KB?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:55 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scjar

I still want a nice power addage. No more than 500 hp though i would say. I can understand the turbo since they are meant for some big power output, but why not the KB?
If you don't have to worry about smog, save for the turbo. More efficient and reliable than a blower. More expensive, but worth it. There aren't any smog-legal turbos for the 04 'stang, otherwise I would have one.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

Ouch, didn't know turbos didn't pass smog. I have to pass emissions in NC. I am wanting to take a risk and get LT headers sometime because I heard its ify if those will pass. Most havn't had problems with LT's in NC.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:41 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Its just because we are in California scjar...in California we have to have all our items with some gayass CARB #. I've decided I'm over it though, the cops can blow me. I'm gunna do whatever the **** I want to my car from now on.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:48 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

too much money for my blood

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: Scjar

[/blockquote]
Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

turbo will pass in NC
Old 12-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Scjar
2nd Gear Member

Ah, ok, so I still don't see why not to doa KB. How much cheaper is the procharge or vortech? [/align][/align]I love the turbo sound, but they are just too pricey for me right now. I'm just a college student with a g/f so my money is limited And if I had to build the engine just to get use out of it, it seems likea waste atm anyway. [/align][/align]The KB website said the KB 2.1 was just a hundred or so more than the Mongoose. Unless this didn't include all the installation/running accessories I don't see why you wouldn't go with KB if its a better system.[/align]

Quick Reply: Yet another boost question