4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what do you do before the s/c???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 11:07 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

Default what do you do before the s/c???

everyone talks about the s/c... but no one talks about building your engine up before hand to really get the most possible benefit from it. what should you do before you buy the supercharger? i was thinking gears of course, plenum, t/b, full eshaust w/ ltbs, but where i get confused is with the heads and the cams. what do you want to do to those two to make your blown mustang really perform. i was thinking port and polish, and then street cams??? is that right. please explain in detail the whole process b/c i cant seem to grasp it. thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 12:46 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what do you do before the s/c???

you can go with a 6 psi blower on most any stock engine and not have to worry about building it up at all. it's only when you start really turning up the boost that you need to worry about forged pistons, etc.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:28 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

I run 10# non intercooled vortech with stage 1 vt na cams (eating up 3 lbs of boost too!)... at any rate its all in the tune. Regular PI cams work ok with a supercharger as is. Really what will wake up the car the most with a supercharger is full exhaust work. Supercharger cams are nice too, but exhaust would be first. Besides you'll get good NA gains with exhaust and you wouldnt get much at all with supercharger cams NA.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:30 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: roundman

you can go with a 6 psi blower on most any stock engine and not have to worry about building it up at all. it's only when you start really turning up the boost that you need to worry about forged pistons, etc.
you got my attention. where's a good place to get one reasonably cheap?
Old 09-16-2004, 08:24 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

why wont anyone answer this question? everyone just says "you can run this much PSI stock" i dont want to run a blower on a stock motor. i want to have a motor that is BUILT AROUND the idea of one day getting a supercharger. lets put it this way-if i am going to buy the s/c last.... but want to build my engine up as much as possible so when i get the supercharger i can run it higher than 6psi-what should i do until i get the blower? thank u! "MD" u gotta know this one-5million post, whats one more
Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 PM
tarpymac
2nd Gear Member

hey yellow. just drop that baby in there. then start with exhaust! this will be your major thing! get you some straight pipes minding on your emissions check. and some good exhaust sounding muflers. YOU CAN DO IT!

1998 gt
mac short shift
mac off road h pipe
flowmaster 2 chamber
msd coil packs
ford racing 9 mm wires
denzo plugs (they cost but damn they are GOOD)
vortech sq s trim
flamed gauges no h.p. but they are cool
drop me a pm for any other ?s

[IMG]local://upfiles/6083/AA67035C0DE04DB8ADA35CAA03E0665C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6083/41E724FC0B4A4E75ABAE761CE9ECC533.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Stanley
1st Gear Member

If you wanted to run more than 6lbs of boost like you said I would look into forged pistons, a crank out of a cobra or something equivilent. Like said before cams that are for a s/c. Most kits come with new injectors I think.

If you are looking to run sick amounts of boost there would be a few other things I have heard people do. You could replace all the head bolts with ARP studs, have the heads o-ringed and use the copper head gaskets.

When I was in highschool a friend had a '93 Cobra he wanted to put a blower on. He decided he would go with, the then new company, ProCharger. He called them up and asked what would make the best combo for what he wanted the car to do and thats what he went with. He got a blower cam, after market heads with bigger combustion chambers and had everything ported.

I don't have one, or know anyone else that does but that is some stuff I have heard people talk about using. Some of it isn't specific to just blowers, some is high compression related. Hope that makes at least a little sense.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:22 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Your stock block & crank are fine for high hp use... the only thing you need for lotsa boost is forged rods and pistons. Head studs are a good idea as well. Stock PI heads flow fairly well already and a good set of blower cams with, say, 14 psi intercooled boost at 9:1 compression stock heads and blower cams and full exhaust will net you over 500 rwhp. Ported heads and an upgraded blower unit can get you 600+ rwhp.

There are some 700 rwhp GT's running around as well.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:38 PM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

Your stock block & crank are fine for high hp use... the only thing you need for lotsa boost is forged rods and pistons. Head studs are a good idea as well. Stock PI heads flow fairly well already and a good set of blower cams with, say, 14 psi intercooled boost at 9:1 compression stock heads and blower cams and full exhaust will net you over 500 rwhp. Ported heads and an upgraded blower unit can get you 600+ rwhp.

There are some 700 rwhp GT's running around as well.
i dont understand forged pistons and rods(is that the same thing as the PI head swap). and one more thing, will my compression be 9:1 if i do the PI swap? thanks MD
Old 09-18-2004, 01:47 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

no forged pistons and forged rods will replace your factory cast rods and pistons (in your block). A PI head swap will raise your compression to about about 10.2 : 1 with the factory pistons - so for a descent amount of boost you will need to find some dished pistons to lower your compression ratio.

Quick Reply: what do you do before the s/c???