4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mid-pipe Install Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:28 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mid-pipe Install Tips?

if you have a lift it should only take you about an hour to take the old one off and put the new one on. have fun
Old 12-30-2006, 05:05 AM
golferjoe11
1st Gear Member

Ok guys I got the pipe installed and it sounds amazing!!! It wasnt easy but took me about 1.5 hours...I had help though. I was able to use a lift at my dads body shop and one of the tech's helped a bit. We could'nt budge the passenger manifold bolts, even with an impact so we had to heat them. After that, one of the O2 sensor's seized into the stock H pipe and aftergetting it out became useless. So I went to the local ford dealer (a block away) and luckly they had one in stock and my dad gets wholesale prices from them. After that we had troulble getting the front driver side O2 sensor to reach the harness, but finally got it to work out. Luckly when we fired it up there was no leak at all. It sounds awsome though and was worth the trouble. Also It may be just in my head but it feels like my car pulls a bit harder too[8D]
Old 12-30-2006, 10:08 AM
03machyellow
3rd Gear Member

i have an 03 mach1 and just orderd an slp off road x pipe, does anyone no if i can go without the extensions or will they be needed for sure?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:21 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eventer289

You will need about 1.5 ft of extensions and a 15 mm deep socket. Makes sure you SOAK the manifold nuts in some type of penetrant the night before you do the installation otherwise you won't be able to get them undone. The bottom nut of the passenger side is the hardest to get loose. I ended up stripping the head and I had to take it to a service station and have them torch it to get it off.Just be patient. Also, if your car is like mine, the front left O2 (the one closest to the manifold, not the one that you use MIL Eliminators on) sensor wont reach with the new prochamber. I had to take the O2 plug off the bracket to get it to plug in. I still fit too tight for my liking so I finally bought and O2 extension.

Also, since you have an 04, you will need O2 sensor extensions to make the rear O2 sensors reach with the new pipe.

Have patience. It is well worth it!
Unless the prochamber's O2 sensor bungs are moved back further than an o/r x-pipe he won't need any extensions. BBK Mil's are all I used and they have slack in them. Mine was real easy. Impact wrench with extensions and swivel socket. I had to drop the starter tho. Made life a little easier.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:36 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I don't know about the 04, but the Prochamber's O2 sensors should be fine. In fact I think they were closer than the stock midpipe for me.

Also, I don't know about you guys who keep saying 15mm socket for the header bolts, but mine was definitely an 18mm. Different years had different bolts I guess?

Anyway, other than that one bolt, it's really not too hard. Unfortunately for me when I did it, that one bolt was the one that decided to bring the stud out with the nut. That made for a fun reinstall, but the rest took just 30 minutes maybe.