4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Does catted make much of a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:50 PM
meyerj88
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Does catted make much of a difference?

Ya, I would just go w/ a catted mid-pipe.I would just because I hate the smell you get from vehicles w/ out cats. I don't know if you get that from a mustang, but I had an old truck that didn't have a cat and I couldn't stand the smell.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:56 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

I have a BBK O/R H-pipe. Before I had it on, I just had a Flowmaster cat back. After I put it on, it was night and day. It was so much louder and it just sounded sweet as hell. I got a lot of compliments. The things I didn't like was my gas mileage went down 2 MPG around town and my exhaust smelled like raw fuel and was blue smoke. I bought aftermarket high flowcats and cut them and bolted them into my mid pipe. They're just bolted on so I can switch out the cats whenever I want. It's a cheap way compared to buying a Bassani mid pipe, but it works just as well. I suggest doing something like this if you still can't decide.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:35 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

hmm weird the smell of my car is not noticebly diffrent to me. It doesnt get inside the cabin or anything. I use to just have the flows on the stock h also but when i went o/r it made it sound a lot better IMO
Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 PM
meyerj88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djb1187

hmm weird the smell of my car is not noticebly diffrent to me. It doesnt get inside the cabin or anything. I use to just have the flows on the stock h also but when i went o/r it made it sound a lot better IMO
Like I said, I don't know if the mustangs do it or not. It was just the old 95 Ford pickup that did it. There could have been other reasons why it smelled like it did, but whatever the reason was, it started after the cat was removed.

I would still go w/ cats though just because of legal reasons.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:32 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Hm interesting. I honestly would stick to a catted mid because I dont wanna have to deal with inspections. And especially the neighborhood I love in and how many patrol cops are around..I'd hate to **** the neighbors off because I come home at around midnight almost on weekends and stuff so yeah. Im really lookin into an MRT catted h in the future. Probably in the farther future than the near but still.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:59 PM
203Mach1ne
4th Gear Member

Hm interesting. I honestly would stick to a catted mid because I dont wanna have to deal with inspections. And especially the neighborhood I love in and how many patrol cops are around..I'd hate to **** the neighbors off because I come home at around midnight almost on weekends and stuff so yeah. Im really lookin into an MRT catted h in the future. Probably in the farther future than the near but still.
I come home about that same time, if not later, with SLP LM1s, and I plan on going with the SLP X-pipe and Headers in the future, so screw the neighbors [sm=lildevil.gif]
Old 12-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

My exhaust is already pretty loud with just the Magnapacks. I think going catted would be better because you still improve the sound but don't get too crazy. I'm definately going MRT catted H the moment I'm not broke anymore. Plus no MILs to worry about.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:14 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

My magnaflow catted X really made my exhaust ALOT louder.

Btw, I think 4v's sound SEXY with mac catback and an X-pipe.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:36 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

get a catted H-Pipe but hollow out the cats. So to the untrained eye it will look catted but, sound O/R.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:41 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Hollowed out cats are worse on backpressure than high-flow cats from all I have ever read.

Quick Reply: Does catted make much of a difference?