4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hissing/Ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 03:55 AM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Default Hissing/Ticking noise

Ok, so about 2 months after I got my SLP Catted X-Pipe and Borla Stingers put on my car developed this sound that I believed to be an exhaust leak. I had it checked out and 3 different shops told me that there was no leak. When I finally took it to a dealership where I live, it was found out that my donut/collector gasket thing-ma-bobber was bad. So they replaced that, along with taking my entire exhaust system off and putting it back on. The hissing/ticking noise is still happening though.

So my question is, what does everyone think it could be? Is there a gasket somewhere that could have gone or a connection that is bad or something? I mean, the shop just took my entire exhaust off and put it back on and it didnt really fix anything. Is this just a noise that the SLP Catted X-Pipes make?

Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:02 AM
lottje

Default RE: Hissing/Ticking noise

If you don’t smell anything in your car then I would say you don’t have a leak. I think if your x pipe was leaking it would be loud as f*&k too. But your new setup might be rattling something in the engine compartment or rubbing somware. Try to pin point the noise best you can and go from there.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Yea, the noise is pretty loud. You can hear it when the car is under load before the exhaust note kicks in. I thought it might have been my intake manifold, but I'm not leaking any coolant or anything so I dont think its that. Its really starting to bug the hell out of me though because it seems to be getting louder and louder.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Could be detonation but my guess would be an exhaust leak.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Well I called the shop about it yesterday and they said that it might be where my exhaust is settling back from where everything was taken off and put back on, so it goes back in a week to get stuff tightened. We'll see after that.

I might just start taking **** apart in my engine compartment today and see what happens.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:42 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Hmm... I think I have this too from just installing my exhaust. There is a loud ticking type sound, but I can't hear it from underneath and I've re-tightened everything. I was wondering if it was just the cylinder fire echoing more through my off road pipe. I'm curious as well though. Does new midpipes have a different sound like that?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:58 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Hmm... I think I have this too from just installing my exhaust. There is a loud ticking type sound, but I can't hear it from underneath and I've re-tightened everything. I was wondering if it was just the cylinder fire echoing more through my off road pipe. I'm curious as well though. Does new midpipes have a different sound like that?
See thats how mine is too, but I have a catted mid pipe. My friend said that he cant hear it when I'm comming down the street as bad as you can from inside the car. I'm stumped, and its really getting aggrivating.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:33 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I have a similar sound and my mechanic could not find any leaks, he said its the ticking sound from the injectors / cylinder fire echoing through the larger diameter pipes of my new midpipe. He knows his **** so I believe him. Mine isn't very loud, its only audible at really low rpm while giving it some gas.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:31 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

I have a similar sound and my mechanic could not find any leaks, he said its the ticking sound from the injectors / cylinder fire echoing through the larger diameter pipes of my new midpipe. He knows his **** so I believe him. Mine isn't very loud, its only audible at really low rpm while giving it some gas.
That's exactly what I expected it was, and I just got a buddy to ride with me and he said that he definitely hears no leaks. I'm convinced that it's perfectly fine and that it's just the extra echo from the pipes. Both of you have catted pipes which would explain why it's louder for me, but being that you still have a much less restrictive pipe than before, that's why you still hear it and the stock doesn't have the sound.

I'd say case closed for me. No more worries.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:18 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info SOCH, makes me feel a little better about the situation. I'm still going to go and get everything retightened in about a week and have them look over it one more time. It just kinda sucks because when I drive past a big line of cars or something and I'm not giving it enough gas, that ticking/hissing noise is almost all you can hear. Oh well, maybe I'll switch to an o/r mid if that makes any difference.

Quick Reply: Hissing/Ticking noise