4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My ghetto a$$ ram air....pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My ghetto a$$ ram air....pics.

ORIGINAL: M1ke

i think the "results" arent trustworthy. you could make passes all day and never have 2 the same. with that said, if there's a difference in .05 because of your ram air, its so negligable, there's no way you could prove its the ram air. i.e. placebo affect

try and spend as long as you can at the track until you get one pass that you felt was pretty good. then take the ducting off and make passes again until you get another one pretty good and similar to the first good one. this gets rid of some variables that could have been the reason for an increase in et and trap.
Thats a good thought. I will try that, do a little D&D. Also that time I ram today was the best of the day out of around 10 runs anywhere from 13.19 to 13.58 But the last time I ran it the best time was 13.55 and some runs up to 14.2 and I ran around 10 runs that day also... Im a beleiver, lol... I am going to redesign the setup I have now. I am going to make it more cosmeticly pleasing for all of you critics.. lol. and I will make it less restrictive and utilizing both intake holes on the right side of my bumper. I read this write up this guy did on his car, sure its just someones findings but he put alot of research into it. So I will try and make the pipings as straight as possible and the box easier to take apart to make some runs without it. Heres that write up I read.

http://www.karlsnet.com/mopar/ramair.shtml
Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

The best will net .5 psi of boost at 100mph, common will net .2psi, and your dryer tube will netless than both. I would consider that pretty close to nothing.

IF your little "invention" was so great and knocked off .4 secin the 1/4, why wouldnt everyone have one? Why wouldntall manufacturesput them on stock?

I think its really cool that you had the idea, and did it all yourself, I think it looks cool, but I dontbelieve it does ****.

Very nice times none the less. 13.1 at 105 is a great time.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:31 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

The best will net .5 psi of boost at 100mph, common will net .2psi, and your dryer tube will netless than both. I would consider that pretty close to nothing.

IF your little "invention" was so great and knocked off .4 secin the 1/4, why wouldnt everyone have one? Why wouldnt Ford put them on stock?

I think its really cool that you had the idea, and did it all yourself, I think it looks cool, but I dontbelieve it does ****.

We all have better flowing exhaust and Ford didn't do that either. Or better intakes, or largerTBs, etc. I'm not saying his duct work does anything, but just because no one else has tried it, is not proof positive that the concept is without merit.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:42 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

IF your little "invention" was so great and knocked off .4 secin the 1/4, why wouldnt everyone have one? Why wouldnt Ford put them on stock?

Did you read the entire quote that I posted? It stated that stock none ram air setups create a vacuum when the throttle is engaged... Thus making it negative psi in the air box... I dont know how much negative pressure it creates, but adding a ram air setup equalizes the pressure and even adds some even if it is only .02psi its better than -2psi lets say. That article was taken from researching sport bike ram air setups, every sportbike that I know of comes stock with ram air. If it wasnt doing anything they wouldnt build it, if it was useless it would just create drag. I beleive the Viper GTS, 06 Z06 and Trans Am WS6 comes stock with ram air if I am not mistaken. The new Kawasaki ZX14 makes 187hp and 197hp with ram air.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_ZX-14

Old 12-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Heres a dyno compairison that Sport Rider magazine did compairing dynoing a bike with and without ram air. Please read the article fully before posting regarding this...
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/
Old 12-31-2006, 10:02 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I just did a little research on my own, and I see what you mean. I apologize. I shoulda looked at some **** before I commented.

It takes away from negative boost? It get the intakepressure closer to atmospheric?Isnt that simpliy what it does?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:32 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I just did a little research on my own, and I see what you mean. I apologize. I shoulda looked at some **** before I commented.

It takes away from negative boost? It get the intakepressure closer to atmospheric?Isnt that simpliy what it does?
lol. I have research these for a while, and from the results I have decided to make my. I'm in the process of making an air-tight box for the filter out of sheet metal. I'm also working on ways to make it look better, such as painting.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Ok, here is an extensive article I found on ram air... Please all doupters and even anyone who wants to educate them selves on the subject... I highly suggest you read this article.. It is very long, but but it will prove and clarify many beliefs.... Please read this. http://www.vararam.com/ramairinaroadcar.html
Old 01-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

very cool. I think it is "something fun to talk about" hahhahaha LMAO but, if you got an improvement....hmmmmmm. Worth thinking about. Make sure you keep us abreast on the production of your RAM air. A very creative idea indeed.