4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A Word of Advice for FRPP Driveshafts and DS Safety Loops !! READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:05 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Default A Word of Advice for FRPP Driveshafts and DS Safety Loops !! READ!!!

Ok It may be different with other brands but this is my story. On my car, I have a Lakewood Driveshaft Safety Loop and recently put on a FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft. The first time I installed it, I noticed a rubbing when backing up or going forward(just testing it in driveway). It would only rub(grind) at 1 point. After jacking back up and inspecting it, I noticed the weight on the front of the DS was hitting 1 of the bolts. I removed the DS and pulled the one bolt out. This was on the passengers side where 4 bolts are.

Now this safety loop comes with 8 bolts( 4 each side)to mount the upper and lower loops to the main brackets. After testing again I noticed the grind was gone, problem adverted(WRONG)

After driving, I noticed when I launched it hard in a straight line or turned left, I heard a loud CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. Didn't do it turning right. I had a hunch it was those other bolts on the safety loop (passengers side). Today I decided to investigate again and noticed part of the DS up front had a slight mark on it, FROM THE ****ING BOLTS!

That's what the drive shaft was hitting, on a hard luanch or left turn. I guess it flexes that much and was hitting the bolts. I decided to remove ALL (was 3 remaining) of the bolts on the passengers side loop only. (not the part that mounts to the floorboard). So now the only part with bolts is the drivers side loop around the DS. There are still 4 in there.

I did take it out again tonight and punched her hard and turned left a couple times and PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Yeah a long story but to sum it up, if you buy a FRPP DS and a Lakewood Safety Loop. Don't put the 4 passenger side bolts in that hold the 2 loops together.

It may or may not rub on yours, but taking it off again is a pain. Well it's not really that hard to take off the DS and pull the bolts off but, don't it once.

Just my advice to help others.