4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Would a set of muffs be just as good as a catback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Would a set of muffs be just as good as a catback?

ORIGINAL: Hound11

Thats interesting, bc I sure do be seeing people ridin with some fat *** pipes, I be like damn!
that's because that's called rice hence why your damned
Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Hound11
2nd Gear Member

Rice hence? what is that, not familiar with them terms
Old 01-01-2007, 01:16 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

i havent crawled under my car lately, but isnt stock piping, bent and kinked, as a aftermarket cat,or mid pipe is mandel bent?
Old 01-01-2007, 01:21 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

f no
2.5 is the optimal size toexhuast ratio for our vehicles since they are not f/i. smaller exhuast diameters show less horse/torqueon a dyno meter than a 2.50 now on my audi i run 3 in turbo back exhuast because it let's the exhuast exit faster than a smaller diameter pipe and in turn makes my turbo spool up faster. If i didn't do this i could get turbo stall. which suchs. So if 2.25 was fine everyone would just say do it but it is not. if you just want a loud mustang than change the muffler with a piece of straight pipe but you looking for performance and plan on doing stuff down the road the get the 2.50 diameter. if you don't believe. then do a search on google for this.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:25 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

im willing to bet that if you took a stock stang and just welded in some flowmasters then threw it on the dyno.....write down the numbers/results....then go and change JUST/ONLY the cat back piping leaving/still using the flowmasters....put it back on the dyno....i bet you dont see any difference in numbers...if you do....it would only be like 1 maybe 2 hp(wich isnt noticalbe)...in other words....yes a set of muffs would be just about as good as a whole cat back.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:42 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MoKo_04GT

im willing to bet that if you took a stock stang and just welded in some flowmasters then threw it on the dyno.....write down the numbers/results....then go and change JUST/ONLY the cat back piping leaving/still using the flowmasters....put it back on the dyno....i bet you dont see any difference in numbers...if you do....it would only be like 1 maybe 2 hp(wich isnt noticalbe)...in other words....yes a set of muffs would be just about as good as a whole cat back.
I'd say you're right on this My car has ran and dynoed pretty much the same with what ever muffler and tailpipe I've had on it. In fact it ran 11.56@118 with Flowmaster original 2-chambers and stock tails and 11.55@118 with straight thru dumped mufflers.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

well noob sounds like you should go and do this.but i bet you, you will be sorry.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:49 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang_pa

well noob sounds like you should go and do this.but i bet you, you will be sorry.
Why would he be sorry for not pissing away good money on a useless mod?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:57 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

good thing about cat backs, there usally come with some good lookin tips. Take Slp's cat backs, Those double rolled tips are sex. But if you bought them seperatly, and then the mufflers and had a shop weld all that it, youve pretty much paid for a cat back. Might as well just order it with the new mandel bent piping and be done with it. I personally only have weld ins. Im going to do a cta back but didnt have the money, so i just had some welded in for a lil change in exhaust tone.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:11 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

there is a very MINIMAL difference between the cat-back and weld in mufflers. spend the extra money and get the catback for almost no results....the only difference may be sound...just my .02

Quick Reply: Would a set of muffs be just as good as a catback?