4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Too much for the street?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:15 PM
LX90
2nd Gear Member

Default Too much for the street?

Ok, going against the "There's no such thing as too much power", I'm planning on getting my '98GT to 500rwhp and drive it everyday. Is this too much to ask for a street car? Thanks as always for the info.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:33 PM
draymer

Default RE: Too much for the street?

This is a loaded question, and the answer depends on your skill, what you are willing to put up with in terms of clutch pressure, etc.

In general, I would say that 1 hp at the wheels for every 9 pounds of weight makes for a fun daily driver that a wife or gf won't complain about having to drive on occassion. More than that, and its a matter of skill, experience, and whether you are a sadist or a masochist

Prior to the stang, I had a 350 all-wheel horsepower Evo (may it rest in pieces) that was a daily driver (9:1 or so) and it was borderline for me. I'd recommend you see if you can find somebody with a similar kit in your area that would be willing to let you drive their car before you go down that road; you'll put more money into it than you will get out of it you hate it and decide to sell it.

good luck.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:13 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

it'd be hard to make street legal i believe, but 500rwhp is pretty high there for street, it'd probably get you in more trouble than you'd want on the street, something that goes that fast thatquickis asking for someone to walk out infront of you and be roadkill.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:20 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

After a while it can be too much and too hard on your body. Like a fighter pilot or a top fuel dragster. The fastest car ive ever experienced was a 2002 Dodge Viper twin-turbo with propaine and N20 Injection. It had a custom rear suspension and racing slicks on the rear. It made 1350 rwhp. It was equiped with a power glide tranny and a fully rebuilt forged motor. I got to ride along and it was amazing. You get strapped in with the racing harnesses and just have to hold on. When that car hooks up it has the ability to lift the front end in the air and glue you to your seat. It was so load and the forces were so strong it started to make me sick after about an hour of riding it in. The G forces were so strong you couldnt lift your hands off the car. It was an increable experience that ill never forget. But that would be too much power for me. Too much to drive that is. I didnt get the chance to drive it but i probably would have killed myself in it.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

I'm running 456 right now 525 Crank and it's friggin crazy on the streets. I love ****ing with people all day long. I'm going to get in trouble if I don't be careful, lol. And yes I know there's faster cars where I live, I just haven't been challenged by any.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

After a while it can be too much and too hard on your body. Like a fighter pilot or a top fuel dragster. The fastest car ive ever experienced was a 2002 Dodge Viper twin-turbo with propaine and N20 Injection. It had a custom rear suspension and racing slicks on the rear. It made 1350 rwhp. It was equiped with a power glide tranny and a fully rebuilt forged motor. I got to ride along and it was amazing. You get strapped in with the racing harnesses and just have to hold on. When that car hooks up it has the ability to lift the front end in the air and glue you to your seat. It was so load and the forces were so strong it started to make me sick after about an hour of riding it in. The G forces were so strong you couldnt lift your hands off the car. It was an increable experience that ill never forget. But that would be too much power for me. Too much to drive that is. I didnt get the chance to drive it but i probably would have killed myself in it.
yeah.. but come on... 500 is A LOT different then 1350... with 500 you should be ok.. but like it was said before.. with that much power you have to know how to drive.. if you respect the available power you should be fine.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Boltt
3rd Gear Member

Even my little 260ish HP gets rough after a while... Just make sure you hop up suspension or you might be paying for a chiropractor as well.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: stang2000

I'm running 456 right now 525 Crank and it's friggin crazy on the streets. I love ****ing with people all day long. I'm going to get in trouble if I don't be careful, lol. And yes I know there's faster cars where I live, I just haven't been challenged by any.
Move to where i live! The VP of our club drives an 04 stalker cobra making 650 rwhp
Old 01-01-2007, 08:42 PM
red96gtconvtbl
2nd Gear Member

I hate all of you guys..the hick towns in southern indiana where I live have very few fast cars. There's a new viper, a 911 GT3, and acouple olderfirebirds and camarosmaking insane power but thats it. I never get the opportunity to see anything cool..I need to move to where you guys are from.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Boltt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red96gtconvtbl

I hate all of you guys..the hick towns in southern indiana where I live have very few fast cars. There's a new viper, a 911 GT3, and acouple olderfirebirds and camarosmaking insane power but thats it. I never get the opportunity to see anything cool..I need to move to where you guys are from.
Trust me, it gets worse the farther north you are in indi. I live northwest, on the border of michigan. All we got here is honda, VW, and cobalt SS. The occasional TA/Maro and mustang as well, but few and far between.

Quick Reply: Too much for the street?