MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   When is a tune required? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/225213-when-is-a-tune-required.html)

Zanador 01-01-2007 06:21 PM

When is a tune required?

I am putting together a list of mods I am planning to do to my96 GTover the next few months, and the costs. I am going to do a PI cam/Intake swap, and full bolt ons (Minus Underdrive Pulleys). What I want to know, is would my car require a tune to drive safetly? I will be getting a tune eventuallyfor it for sure to bring out all of its power, but will it be running dangerously lean from these mods, and require one right away as apposed to being able to drive it for a bit and save up extra cash? Need to know how much I need to save before I can start doing some of the mods.

4.698GT 01-01-2007 07:09 PM

RE: When is a tune required?

Mainly when you use start to use some sort of power adder. Nitrous, a supercharger or a turbo installation would all require some sort of tune to be safe. After the PI swap, the compression will be bumped and the tune is only going to help on that.

xxkazp3rxx 01-01-2007 07:28 PM

Once you do the swap is when i'd do it... the cams will throw off the A/F. There was someone else that just did the swap with cams and was pulling a 17.5 A/F which is much to lean. After you do the swap, get a baseline dyno, and if your a/f is lean then you will need a tune - that's the best way to see if you need one.

Zanador 01-01-2007 08:57 PM

Hrm, 17.5 is really dangerously lean... would the car be able to be driven at all do you think? I would really like to be able to drive the car to the shop where I get it dyno'd and tuned... do you think I would be alright if I did'nt get on it and shifted it early?

SOHCtimes2 01-01-2007 09:20 PM

You can put it over to get it tuned, yes. Cars run fairly lean during cruising habbits actually anyway. Just don't get on it

xxkazp3rxx 01-01-2007 09:43 PM

+1... once you get it done just get a dyno where the a/f is measured. If it's lean then have them tune it - if it's ok.. then dont worry about it.

I was using his car as an example.. all cars are different.

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

You can put it over to get it tuned, yes. Cars run fairly lean during cruising habbits actually anyway. Just don't get on it

M1ke 01-01-2007 09:52 PM

make sure you put in 93/91 octane fuel when you do the swap to prevent knocking

geetee03 01-01-2007 10:31 PM

cams require a tune. get a tune after your bolt on's are complete.

StockD15b 01-01-2007 11:27 PM

sooo, in a nut shell. anytime where more air is going to be forced into the engine?