4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default Brake Upgrade?

My front rotors/pads are pretty shot (the warning deals are going, and the rotors are OEM stock) and I want to upgrade to the 13 inch bullit stuff as long as I'm gonna mess with it at all.

Which kit should I go with (or supply another). One is the american muscle kit, with "PBR" (?) rotors and pads, and the bullitt calipers: Its a bit over 400 bucks with the 6 percent discount

http://www.americanmuscle.com/01bull...onversion.html

Another is from a place called "speed concepts" (never heard of them) with "slotted" rotors and brake pads. It doesn't say what brand the pads/rotors are: Its a bit cheaper at 389

http://www.speedconcepts.net/product...roducts_id=439

Old 01-03-2007, 05:16 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: Brake Upgrade?

Throw on some Powerslot rotors and Hawk brake pads and be done with it!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:20 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

I was gonna go with the cobra brake kit, but was sick of spending money on my car with the SC and all. I ended up getting the autozone cheapy rotors and ceramic pads on the front, and stops perfectly.

That's amazing your still on the stock rotors, when I took mine off they were SHOT, and I only had 47k on the clock.

Between the 13" rotors on my 97 cobra and my 00 GT, I really can't tell a difference.

Autozone FTW!

Oh yeah, and please bleed the system...
Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Well, personally I was looking at the Cobra/Mach1 upgrade. But that's just my .02. I think that it is a bigger step up for us SN95 guys though. So it may not be as worth it for you. Not sure on that though.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
S281SC
2nd Gear Member

I went with http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=6 - It's all new OEM Ford / Brembo / Motorcraft parts & great prices! I did the Mach I stuff with plain rotors for a more stealth / OEM look.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

Well, personally I was looking at the Cobra/Mach1 upgrade. But that's just my .02. I think that it is a bigger step up for us SN95 guys though. So it may not be as worth it for you. Not sure on that though.
The supplied links are the cobra/mach 1 upgrade. The bullit/mach1 is exactly the same, while the cobra upgrade's only difference is the rotors have "cobra" on em instead of the pony.

So the upgrade to 13 isn't worth it though? What about getting the bremo pads etc etc? I was really thinking this was a worthwhile upgrade, espcially with the car headed to north of 550+ whp soon?

Maybe I should spend my money someplace else. The only bad thing is the stock calipers are UGLY,and I am not a big fan of painted calipers (hard to get right).
Old 01-03-2007, 05:34 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S281SC

I went with http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=6 - It's all new OEM Ford / Brembo / Motorcraft parts & great prices! I did the Mach I stuff with plain rotors for a more stealth / OEM look.
What about the "PBR" stuff from american muscle? Would that make any difference? Probably a 60 or so dollar difference on the front set from american muscle and here, is it worth it?

Edit: Did you get this kit already? It doensn't mention having the pads included? How much are they usually?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Maybe I should spend my money someplace else. The only bad thing is the stock calipers are UGLY,and I am not a big fan of painted calipers (hard to get right).
Powerslots do not rust and the price is right, but I do see your point going to the Mach/Cobra sizeas you'll be going up in the RWHP range
550!!!! G*ddamn!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:43 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Powerslots do not rust and the price is right, but I do see your point going to the Mach/Cobra sizeas you'll be going up in the RWHP range
550!!!! G*ddamn!!!!
Powerslots? Is that what the PBR stands for?

Are they notciably better than the stockers?

Damm, I would love to do this, but man the cost! 700+ bucks just for brakes... I don't want to spend that much just for looks. I have to have a perfromance increase as well, or its just not worth it.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

The supplied links are the cobra/mach 1 upgrade. The bullit/mach1 is exactly the same, while the cobra upgrade's only difference is the rotors have "cobra" on em instead of the pony.

So the upgrade to 13 isn't worth it though? What about getting the bremo pads etc etc? I was really thinking this was a worthwhile upgrade, espcially with the car headed to north of 550+ whp soon?

No, I'm with you on the cobra and mach 1 being the same thing. I really think upgrading your brakes is very good idea. No matter what you choose I really think you should do something with an upgrade. Don't just go back to stock. I think for the money the cobra/mach 1 swap looks like a good deal. I haven't purchased them personally so I can't give you hands on experience though.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade?