4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anybody do their own oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 PM
03GT_4.6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anybody do their own oil changes?

I think they are pretty decent. My manager has the same thing done to his 03 F350 and he said the guy that works on his truck actually knows what he's talking about and trusts that he respects his truck. It was the same guy that drove my car. Its only a 1 mile drive and its all city driving and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to get pulled over for driving like an a$$hole in a car that isn't his. The first thing he said to me when I brought it back was, "you have an extremely short throw!" Thank you MGW!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

i do my own oil changes but not in a driveway, dad built a 6 car garage like 4 years and we put up a 4 post lift ago
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

why in the world would you pay to let someone do an oil change. **** THAT, lol. Jack it up, take a 14mm wrench( I think it's 14, lol) place it on the oil pan bolt, crank it counterclockwise and spin it off all the way and WALLL LLAAAHHH oil comes out. And oh yeah, place a pan to catch it underneath, that helps, lol. Let it finish draining, Plug it up and tighten. Place drain pan under oil filter location. Unscrew filter counterclockwise again and Hookus Pocus, Oil comes out. Just keep the oil filter upright that you take off, meaning where it's mounted to avoid spilling the oil oit of the filter, then when you get it close enough to the drain pan, flip it over and let the oil out of the filter. Ok why am I typing all this? lol Enjoy, FREE MOD! lol
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BADSEED

i do my own oil changes but not in a driveway, dad built a 6 car garage like 4 years and we put up a 4 post lift ago
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

it's easy as pie to change it...the hardest part is finding where to jack the car up at, especially for you since you're used to the lifts....no need for jack stands, just put your floor jack on the frame...look under the left side of your car, behind the body seam (where the side skirt rivets on) there will be a little peice of metal haning down, jack from there and have fun
Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

there ya go...check out my AWESOME paint skills....

Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

didnt read all the post but you should do it yourself. It really is simple and there's no reason you shouldn't do it yourself. the quick lubes put in **** oil and cheap *** filters. Use your own quality oil and oil filter. I use mobil 1 or royal purple oil and a mobil 1 or purolater(sp?) filter in mine.

and a set of ramps make it 10x easier

just pull it on the ramps. unscrew the bolt and let it drain, then unscrew the oil filter and let all that oil drain. wipe the oil of the suspension where it dribbled onto. fill up the new oil filter with oil and let it suck the oil into the filter. fill it up 3/4 and put some on the seal. make sure the drain plug is on tight and put the new filter on. then just put 5 quarts in through the valve cover oil fill. start it up and let it warm up then check the level and add enough to get it at the correct level
Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

ORIGINAL: BADSEED

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

it's easy as pie to change it...the hardest part is finding where to jack the car up at, especially for you since you're used to the lifts....no need for jack stands, just put your floor jack on the frame...look under the left side of your car, behind the body seam (where the side skirt rivets on) there will be a little peice of metal haning down, jack from there and have fun
I think he hit the ctrl key in the midle of his sentence.

I do all normal maintenance and upkeep on all of my vehicles. Brakes, oil, tranny service, washing, waxing, etc. I think it is just lazy to not do your own general maintaining on your cars, especially your MUSTANG! And for the guy that has the stealership come pick the mustang up at work.... Drive it like you rent it. Because I can guarantee that they do.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Never crawl under your car with only the jack holding it up. It greatly reduces your lifespan (you're only a $0.05 o-ring away from death...and failed jacks come down quicker than you can react...trust me).

I change my own oil...once per year.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

i have but hate getting the filter off get oil everywhere
Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

Never crawl under your car with only the jack holding it up. It greatly reduces your lifespan (you're only a $0.05 o-ring away from death...and failed jacks come down quicker than you can react...trust me).

I change my own oil...once per year.
if you have a POS jack then that may be true. the jacks i use and what most stang owners use can hold dualies with 11/2 ton rears up all day

once per year? dude i only do mine every 3 years [&:]

Quick Reply: Anybody do their own oil changes?