4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Camber Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:58 AM
phattystylez

Default Camber Plate

What the heck does it do exactly?
I know where it is and basic idea, but can't find enough info about it describingwhat the differences are between all the crap on the internet.

I was getting tires put on the stang and getting an alignment when the guy does the following:
#1. pissed that I didn't buy his crappy tire for $120/each when I bought my own better tires for less. (Can't afford NITTO right now!)
#2. tells me he can't finish my alignment because my camber plates are toast, and the whole kit costs $70, but install was another $400.

At this point im thinking why the hell are his tin foil camber plates better or worse than $250 steeda kits, and also I can either install them myself or have a mustang shop do it a lot cheaper.

Thanks for helping!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Camber Plate

Camber plates are pretty easy to install. They allow you to fix the negative camber on your stang the car is lowered. When u lower the stang it pulls the tops of the front tires in, and with camber plates u can bring the top of the strut (and ultimately the tire) out, back into proper alignment.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:16 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

They make it so that the tire Contact patch is as flat to the road as possibly can be.
if you have neg camber the top of the tire is tilted inward making the inside of the tire wear uneven
if you have positive camber the top of the tire is tilted outward making the outside of the tire wear uneven
Old 01-06-2007, 02:10 AM
phattystylez

well both of my front tires were splitting (inward). I guess that makes sense but my car was never lowered.
Is it possible my cambers are bad without having any effect on the overall suspension?
Any brand recommendations/customer experiences? Thanks!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phattystylez

What the heck does it do exactly
The camber plate provides the anchorfor the top of the strut and the adjustment for camber (tilting the top of the wheel in or out) and caster (tilting the top of the strut backward or forward). The strut, besides being a shock absorber,also acts as the upper control arm in the Macpherson style suspension and moves around as you turn and hit bumps. There is a bushing (rubber) in the stock unit to allow this movment. The aftermarket units(the good ones) replace thisrubber bushing with something better.

I was getting tires put on the stang and getting an alignment when the guy does the following:
#1. pissed that I didn't buy his crappy tire for $120/each when I bought my own better tires for less. (Can't afford NITTO right now!)
#2. tells me he can't finish my alignment because my camber plates are toast, and the whole kit costs $70, but install was another $400.

At this point im thinking why the hell are his tin foil camber plates better or worse than $250 steeda kits, and also I can either install them myself or have a mustang shop do it a lot cheaper.
Think about it...... You just stiffed him on the tires.... He's trying to make some money off you to make up for the tire sale he lost.It's really doubtfulthe stock camber plateneeds to be replaced on an '02 unless it has a ton of miles on it.

Take it to another aligment shop and see if they can align it before you spend and money on new plates.