4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What Tires other than DR's are you guys running on 10.5's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 12:53 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Default What Tires other than DR's are you guys running on 10.5's?

Hey guys. I'm running BFG DR's now on 17x10.5 DD's. Don't get me wrong, I really like the DR's but I'm looking for more of a high performance street tire for every day use. I'm having trouble finding a decent tire that will fit that rim in a 315/35/17.I'm running a 255/45/17 on 17x9 up front which is a little bit taller than the DR's in the rear.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has a source for or can recommenda good high performance street tire in a 315/35/17?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 01:11 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What Tires other than DR's are you guys running on 10.5's?

the sumitomo's from wheel replicas aint too bad, they gripped pretty well when i had them on my car.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:12 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I only know of one tire that size that will fit and I think it's some kind of sumitomo, correct me if I'm wrong. I got the bfg dr's now and they are awesome.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 AM
MCanavan6
3rd Gear Member

While they are expensive Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 seem to be very highly rated on tirerack.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&place=0

They do cost over $200 a tire though.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MCanavan6

While they are expensive Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 seem to be very highly rated on tirerack.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....es&place=0

They do cost over $200 a tire though.
+1 these are very expensive tires but damn they hook good. Heres a little story to back this up...

I saw a redfire 04 cobra for sale at a dealership in my hometown one day and thought I would stop by just to see what they were askin for it and just take a good look at it. It had the F1 GS-D3's all the way around (275's up front and 315's in the rear). They looked so good on the car. I asked if I could test drive it but they wouldnt let me. But one of their guys said he could drive it while I ride with him, so I said sure. I figured he would just granny it around but he really gave it hell. Wheel hop is very common for terminators but this car didnt even hardly spin at all, didnt wheel hop or anything... they hooked and we took off. The car was probably putting down somewhere of 450-475 rwhp. I would reccommend these tires to anyone... they are just so dang expensive[:-]
Old 01-06-2007, 01:27 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

I have the Goodyear GS-D3`s. They are an awesome performance tire. Hook very well on warm pavement. When it gets cold like now, not so good. Expensive but well worth it.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:50 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i like my BFG kdws t/a....worth the money in my opinion
Old 01-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I have the Goodyear GS-D3`s. They are an awesome performance tire. Hook very well on warm pavement. When it gets cold like now, not so good. Expensive but well worth it.
I got Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 also... They are pretty nice. I have gotten a 2.0 60' time with these. I guess thats good for a street tire... They dont hook that well... If I mash the throttle in 1st I will spin, if I powershift from 1st to second I will spin all through 2nd gear... if I power shift from 2nd to third I will spin for about 2 seconds, or a good 150ft. At the track I was having terrible track with them, even with the track prepped, I found the best for me was 20psi. But what they do shine with is holding lateral g's. I have a g-tech pro, I know you all you guys dont beleive in it. But I use it for its g-meter. I can pull over 1.0 lateral g's with my tires, thats pretty impressive to me. Even with just eibach pro springs, basicly everything else suspension wise stock. For handling these tires are awesome! for straight line performance, not so much. For straight line performance you really need a softer side wall for it too hook properly.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:12 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I got Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 also... They are pretty nice. I have gotten a 2.0 60' time with these. I guess thats good for a street tire... They dont hook that well... If I mash the throttle in 1st I will spin, if I powershift from 1st to second I will spin all through 2nd gear... if I power shift from 2nd to third I will spin for about 2 seconds, or a good 150ft. At the track I was having terrible track with them, even with the track prepped, I found the best for me was 20psi. But what they do shine with is holding lateral g's. I have a g-tech pro, I know you all you guys dont beleive in it. But I use it for its g-meter. I can pull over 1.0 lateral g's with my tires, thats pretty impressive to me. Even with just eibach pro springs, basicly everything else suspension wise stock. For handling these tires are awesome! for straight line performance, not so much. For straight line performance you really need a softer side wall for it too hook properly.
So basically, daily drive, auto X, road race with the Goodyears.... and have a nice set of drag radials for the drag strip right[8D]
Old 01-06-2007, 02:16 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

sumitomos have no grip whatsoever. maybe good for daily driving but if you get on it under 25mph they will just spin.

Quick Reply: What Tires other than DR's are you guys running on 10.5's?